burner output

Sponsored Links
just read what i couldnt be bothered to read before about output.but heres my view 90000 btu is about 26 kw. well youd have to have a pretty big house. with example 13 rads at 2kw output. hence range rating for the heat output.

and before anyone starts. yes there is heatloss in pipework etc. but im trying to keep this simple.

so what your saying is, that every rad is counted as 2 kw so best thing is to count how many rads are in the house, 2 kw per rad and then youll know what heat output you will need? keeping it simple

Sponsored Links
sorry you've missed the point. one room could have a 1.3kw then the other 3 kw etc.in total the whole house rad kw could be 14 kw.you would then range rate a nozzle nearest to that output.

Oh i see now different size rads have different kw outputs and from there you can add them up and work it out. Thanks, pretty simple when i think about it :oops: RULE OF THUMB: 2 kw for every rad in house on average (some will be more some will be less) 3 kw for hot water storage cylinder add them up will that do nicely?

Ringy1, The only thing as a SERVICE Engineer you need to worry about is keeping the boiler running reliably and efficiently, if you are at the property in winter, look at how the boiler is cycling, if it's running for ages non stop - probably underfired, if it fires for two mins cuts out on temp for a few mins before repeating the cycle, probably Overfired, from these observations you can make a descision on which heat input setting to set the oil burner up to, it a rule of thumb thing really! ;)

I usually assume the guy before me set the burner up in a certain way for a reason if it's not what I expected (I'm fortunate,in ways, to work for for a company so have some knowledge of who was there before, for regular customers, whereas you may be frequently going into new customers with no history).
New customers will usually flag up if they were not confidant in previous workers abilities (that's probably why you're there now).

If the engineer doesn't have the "correct" nozzle he can always adjust the pump to compensate, so what looks wrong to you(or the MI's) may be fine.
My 1st question on a service is always "any problems with the system?" if the answer is "no" I leave well alone and get on with the service (hopefully with a nice cuppa). I generally don't see customers between services unless a component has failed so must be doing something right :)

Nice rule of thumb from Boilerman2:cool:

I suppose if the customer has no problem with the system leave the nozzle as it is, unless you notice that the burner is grossly underfiring or overfiring if its not broke dont fix it and thats what ill do. Thanks for the replys lads:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back