burner reignites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a modena 102 which when hot water is used the burner goes on and off repeatedly (it used to stay on continuously until tap is turned off). this makes a lot of noise and i would appreciate if anyone has any advice (i've tried adjusting the hot water temp, but to no effect). thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a problem with temperature control or gas valve. You have to study the manufacturer's instructions, or get an expert (Corgi reg. of course) in.

Sponsored Links
Well, to tell the truth, I'm not really in Cuba. More like Bristol. But I just couldn't bear the idea of the union jack flying under my name! Anyway, well spotted. I was wondering how long I'd get away with it.

I'm staying where I am I like the choccy biscuits.

On Off On during HW is often due to sludge in the primary side of the secondary heat exchanger, or limescale in secondary side. I expect (Don't know) that this ferroli has a double pass heat exchanger, not sure if that would make a difference, just a bit harder to clean.
Could be temp sensor(s) of course.

What's the period on and off?? Seconds??
How old? Hard water area?

The Modena 102 does have a combined CH and DHW main heat exchanger (similar to Worcester 24i). Is that what you mean by double-pass? I think temp sensor failure leading to control by O/H stat is possibility.

I've got a copy of MIs here, but I think posters ought to get hold of their own copies. We do too much for them!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Another thing, the Modena E has diagnostic lights!

cj12, does your Modena have a row of 5 small lights on the control panel, above the temp. control knobs? If so, which if any are on or flashing?

I went to a similar model a few weeks ago and the burner would not modulate down but just cut off.

Cycle time about 20-30 secs and water went cold for about 15 secs before it came on again.

Turned out to be the pcb at fault. Its very important to properly set up the gas rates on the pcb after setting the gas valve.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back