Burning in Fused Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A fused socket connected to a tumble drier and a kitchen ring main has been burning - a smell of fish on about 3 occasions we used the appliance (which we didn't realise was burning) and then the next time the kitchen was full of smoke (which we did!). The fuse nor the circuit breaker in the consumer unit have not tripped. Having taken off the cover and removed the fuse, the burning is on one of the blue neutral wires. No other appliances were in use at the time.

The socket has only been recently installed (professionally) a month ago since our drier is new.

I want to replace the socket but am concerned that not knowing the cause of the problem may cause it to recur, possibly with a bigger fire. Getting a spark in before Christmas s impossible (we live in the country) so wanted to replace it myself seeing as it's only a socket. Can anyone give an opinion as to the likely cause? Is it likely to be an error by the original installer?

Sponsored Links
Get whoever did the work in to fix it.

Cause: he didn't tighten the terminal up enough (if at all).

The socket has only been recently installed (professionally) a month ago since our drier is new.
I would dispute "professionally"..

I want to replace the socket but am concerned that not knowing the cause of the problem may cause it to recur, possibly with a bigger fire. Getting a spark in before Christmas s impossible (we live in the country)
The guy who b******d it up in the first place should attend as a matter of urgency and fix it FOC, even if that means him working outside his normal hours. If he doesn't then you should complain to his registration scheme organiser.

so wanted to replace it myself seeing as it's only a socket. Can anyone give an opinion as to the likely cause?
From your description the likeliest cause was a loose connection. Replacing the accessory may not be straightforward, as you will have to cut back the wiring to beyond where it's been damaged by the heat, and that might well leave the cables too short.

Post some pictures?

Is it likely to be an error by the original installer?
Yes.

Sponsored Links
And also check the plug on the appliance for damage due to the heat from the burning socket.

If you replace the socket yourself then you must cut back damaged cable until you find bright copper. The copper that became over heated will be softened and will not make a good connection. Then the same fault will happen again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back