burning rubber smell from electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I got a Zanussi dual fuel cooker. Sometimes when the electric oven was turned on, there was a quite strong burning rubber smell. I couldn't see any plastic or rubber material inside the oven. Some posts on the Internet suggest it could be due to electric fault - short circuit and wire burning etc., but I am not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
unlikely.

How often do you clean the oven and the grease filter? Have you ever taken the back panel out and cleaned around the fan and element?

Thanks for your reply. I have not cleaned the oven for quite some time. And have never taken the back panel out. So you reckon it could be due to fat and grease? how can I make sure it is not electric wire burning?

I used to have a Zanussi dual-fuel. IIRC the connections near the elements are not rubber insulated, there is a metal and ceramic connector, and mineral-insulated element.

Also examine the flex and plug, though.

Sponsored Links
See my recent thread on this, op.

Swmbo reported a smell of burning plastic, just before the electric oven packed up.

Turned out to be the selector switch failing.

Pictures on other thread.

Replacement part was about £35 Inc. delivery, arrived in a few days, and took less than ten minutes to fit, start to finish.

A quick update. yesterday I had a repair guy coming around change the selector switch. However, when I used it today, turning to grill and grill was not on; turning to fanned oven, it seems the grill and oven came on together. Also, it seems the switch is not properly aligned with the dial. Any suggestions what could go wrong before I call the engineer back on Monday?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back