Burning Smell ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed over the last couple of days that there is a smell in the bathroom.
Nothing unusual there you might think but this smell seems to be coming from my Mira shower unit and I was wondering if there could be something that is over heating as the smell makes me think of burning plastic.
Any thoughts. In the interests of safety should I stop using the shower and see about fitting a new one.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Safety first, stop using the shower and switch it off at the consumer unit.

Then investigate the problem as far as your skills allow. It's probably worth taking the case off the shower and having a look inside before you decide what to do next.

If its an Electric shower turn it off immediately at the main switch and at the consumer unit and ask either an electrician or a plumber to look at it. It might be a loose connection, or indeed a new shower might be required.

If you decide to look yourself cover the waste outlet so if you drop any securing screws you don't lose them!

Electric showers use a lot of current!

The screw terminals are very small for the job and I have seen several where the cable connections have over heated and melted the plastic. Often it bubbles up on the outside!

If it has got that that stage it will probably need to be replaced! Just occasionally it will be possible to retighten the cable connection screw.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you are unsure it is wise to get it checked over by a competant electrician. As Tony said, these use a lot of current, I've seen a few where the supply cable isn't man enough for the job. At best it could get hot, at worst could start a fire....

Its so lovely for me to see a 60 amp commercial component with thick copper busbars!

These showers use tiny brass screw contacts similar to the choc blocks you used to buy in Woolworths!

Tony

Took the cover off and the live terminal is burnt black and about two and a half inches of the live lead is burnt and blistered. The clear plastic casing covering the terminals has melted in the area of the live conection and the circuit board is burnt where the live terminal connects to it.

Looks to me like it could be a new shower unit and I hope there is enough loose cable in the wall cavity to allow an extra few inches to be pulled out.

More cash down the drain, (so to speak)

Cheers.

You will need to get an electrician (not just a mate with some screw drivers) to check the cable size and whether your consumer unit and MCB are up to scratch.

ADVANCE.jpg

The shower unit (tray, screen, everything) was installed just over two years ago. Could this problem be down to the fitters ???

Cheers.

I would go with Dave's opinion, this really needs looking at by a competant electrician. It may just be the original shower was badly fiited, in which case its been arcing, hence the damage. However for your safety and peace of mind, an electrician should check it and advise on any remedial work needed. Size of shower (in kW) dictates size of supply cable needed to it from consumer unit and appropriate circuit protection to suit. If this cable is too thin it will get hot when shower is in use and you've seen the possible results.....

My brother-in-law, who is a corgi registered plumber and works mainly at installing central heating systems, is going to look at it tomorrow. he has said on the phone that from my description of things, it will most certainly be a new shower unit that will have to be fitted.

Surely the plumbers who fitted the shower in the first place would have known whether or not the supply cable was the proper rating for the job ??

Cheers.

The problem is very simple fella, the numpty who installed the cable didn't tighten the live wire into the terminal tight enough :rolleyes: This causes arcing and excessive heat and voila, your shower eventually gave up and melted! I suggest you get a 17th edition electrician in or qualified gas safe engineer to fit a new one ;) Upgrade the wire to 10mm cable and install a seperate circuit direct from your consumer unit with a RCD attached on it. This will stop it happening again....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back