Burnt neutral terminal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone please advise as to the possible cause of a badly burnt neutral terminal on a double pole double socket.

The socket has been working fine for the past 5 years but when I took it off to do some grout restoration I noticed the terminal has melted. Could it be due to arching (not sure about the spelling!) :?: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
On the same topic equitum. It would appear that the circuit that has been installed is a radial extending 6 double sockets and not a continuous circuit. Are there any implications likely rise from this set up.

Depends on generally the cable size and protective device (and load).

If its in 2.5mm T&E then should be 15/16A or 20A Fuse/MCB
If its in 4.0mm or greater then OK with a 30/32A Fuse/MCB

But there are other factors such as whether the cable is in thermal insulation, grouped with others, ambient temp etc.

Sponsored Links
The wiring is 2.5mm T&E not insulated in anything, not grouped with anything else and on a 30a fuse. So should I downsize the fuse/MCB to 20 amps or will it be ok as it is. :?:

Cheers

No its not ok as it is!

Two choices; change the breaker down to 20A, or convert the circuit into a ring final

Thanks for that.
Converting to a ring is not an option because of the tiling etc, I will therefore reduce the fuse to 20A

Cheers :LOL:

You have to ensure the radial does not cover a floor area > 50m² AND that the EFL at the destination is within spec for that device.

radial for example would be

a-b-c-d-e-f

ring for example

a-b-c-d-e-f-a

where a is the supply (CU)

short of taking off every socket and using a meter its hard to do in your case

securespark said:
nowtaboutnowt.....have you suddenly changed your name? ;)

No, Still me Securespark. The area covered by the radial circuit is nowhere near 50m² and I'm not sure what you mean by EFL but the only equipment being used are all kitchen appliances, washer/dryer/kettle etc.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Hi again

On the subject of this being a radial circuit... Upon further investigation it would appear that the 2.5mm T&E feeding the kitchen is from the downstairs final ring, but the ring has not been completed within the kitchen, therefore it is like 2 radials circuits coming from the same terminal at the CU.
To connect the final link would mean removing tiles etc and all the mess that comes with that..
What are the implications if this final link is not completed?

Could someone please advise!

[/img]

The implication is that the two circuits could become overloaded. This could cause cbale to overheat, melt or cause a fire.
The max fuse size (per above) is 20amps and you should either get the ring completed or reduce the fuse size.

Sounds like kitchen fitter didnt know what he was doing (again).

This is why Part P was introduced with special emphasis on kitchens & bathrooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back