burnt plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I smelt some burning plastic and took me quite some time to figure out that my convection heater (2kW) plug is heating/melting. I think the culprit is the single extension socket that I am using?? (see photo)

The socket is also browned. It has since been changed by the landlord's electrician.

The heater's plug is now VERY stuck to the extension plug. I don't think my convection heater is the culprit (correct me if I'm wrong), so can I just cut the plug off and wire it to a new B&Q 3pin plug?

Please advise if this is safe? Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
Please use quality plugs - mk, crabtree are the best, avoid adaptors and 4ways and extensions were heaters are involved.

Regards,

KA

Loose connections or contacts within the plug can cause them to get warm and overheat.
If this a let property and the heater comes with the property let, then it is upto your landlord to sort this out.

The heater's plug is now VERY stuck to the extension plug. I don't think my convection heater is the culprit (correct me if I'm wrong), so can I just cut the plug off and wire it to a new B&Q 3pin plug?
The heater itself is almost certainly fine, cut the plug off, fit a new one and you should be fine to continue using it.

You talk about an extension socket but your picture shows what appears to be the plug of the heater, plugged into what appears to be some sort of adaptor. Why were you using an adaptor? did the heater have a foreign plug? did you need to plug more than one thing into the socket?

I would advise against use of travel adapters for long term use, especially with high current applications. travel adaptors usually try and support multiple types of plug but in doing so they often become a poor fit for all of them. If you must use foreign equipment in the UK and changing the plug is not an option (say because it's equipment you take back and forth) my advice would be to get a good quality extension lead from the same country as the appliance and fit a UK plug to the extension lead.

Where possible avoid use of extension leads with high current appliances, if you must use one then use a good brand like duraplug or permaplug and make sure you add up the total loads and check you are not overloading the socket.

Sponsored Links
You talk about an extension socket but your picture shows what appears to be the plug of the heater, plugged into what appears to be some sort of adaptor. Why were you using an adaptor? did the heater have a foreign plug? did you need to plug more than one thing into the socket?
Thanks so much for the replies.

Plugwash, I think you're more accurate in calling it an adaptor. Yes, the heater was plugged into this adaptor, and now they are very stuck together. There was actually no reason to have used the adaptor and I should have removed it before plugging my heater in. It was my Argos heater and there was no other appliances plugged in at that time. Silly me... :oops:

As per Knowall, I will look for a quality plug, cut the old one off and wire them up.

One other thing that has not been mentioned specifically is that, as well as checking the load of an extension, you should uncoil it fully to avoid heat build up.

You also need to arrange for an electrician to examine the socket for any damage to the wires and terminals that will have been caused by the high temperature.

One other thing that has not been mentioned specifically is that, as well as checking the load of an extension, you should uncoil it fully to avoid heat build up.
True - but to really relevant, since what the OP has does not appear to be an extension lead! In fact, really don't understand what it is - it appears to be an 'adapter' which takes a single 13A plug and then plugs into a 13A socket - which clearly makes little/no sense!

Kind Regards, John

True - but to really relevant, since what the OP has does not appear to be an extension lead! In fact, really don't understand what it is - it appears to be an 'adapter' which takes a single 13A plug and then plugs into a 13A socket - which clearly makes little/no sense!

Kind Regards, John

Might have another 13amp outlet on it or could be a timer.

Kind Regards, John
I have seen for sale* an adaptor similar in size and shape to the one pictured with 13A plug pins and two sockets, a socket on the bottom that can take various types of 2 pin plug and a socket on the face which can take various types of 3 pin plug (including british ones).

* I THINK it was in a local non-chain discount shop but I could be mistaken.

I have seen for sale* an adaptor similar in size and shape to the one pictured with 13A plug pins and two sockets, a socket on the bottom that can take various types of 2 pin plug and a socket on the face which can take various types of 3 pin plug (including british ones).
Ah, yes, I hadn't thought of that possibility. I take it (unfortunately) that there was no fuse in the adaptor to protect the 2-pin socket?!

Kind Regards, John

I don't remember if the one I saw for sale was fused.

The adaptor the OP has does appears to be fused, at least I presume that red thing is a fuse carrier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back