Burst radiators cleaning advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i need some advice please on how to go about solving my issues with burst radiators. I have had all 6 rads in this house now fail towards the bottom of them in a period of around 6mths, each 1 going down a few weeks or months later. Only 1 rad has not failed and i put this down simply to this rad not being in constant use as it remains closed most of the time.

I think it is safe to say that this happened due to corrosion and all the crap in the system. All the rads were Kudox rads and fitted approx 4yrs ago by the landlord, a landlord that makes cowboy fitters look like saints! The boiler is pretty ancient, probably 15yrs and is a combi boiler. When the LL fitted the new rads 4yrs ago he did NOT flush out the system, simply drained the water out and he did not add any inhibitor to any of the rads. As far as the situation with the LL goes he's attitude is the rent is cheap enough so you deal with the problem, so lets not debate what a prat he is, i already know that;)!

I think a powerflush is out of the question as this may expose issues with the boiler itself or the plumbing pipes, 2 additional exps that i don't want to be forking out for. I have replacement rads ready to be fitted but before i do that i read a few similar topics and people were given advice to carry out a system clean & then add inhibitor. Could someone tell me if a system clean would be necessary in my case given that all the rads will be new rads? If it is necessary could you put a link of the type of cleaner i need to get, probably screwfix, and if possible a youtube vid of what i need to do in order to use the cleaner. Could you also please advise on the inhibitor.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This is really something that your landlord has a responsibility for dealing with, the have a legal obligation to supply heat to the property. I would personally contact the LL regarding this issue.

But when installing new rads, you still want to flush out the system as there will be sludge, corrosion, scaling and debris in the pipework and boiler.
I would first do a cold flush, then a hot flush, then introduce a chemical cleaner such as Fernox F3, and let this circulate through a heated system for about a week.
The system can then be drained down again and an inhibitor introduced.
Depending on the type of heating system you can introduce the chemicals at either the feed and expansion vessel (gravity system) or filling loop or radiator (sealed system)
There are dosing filling kits available for radiators. Such as this http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-1ltr-filling-kit/98940

Setting aside the issues with your landlord.

I suspect that your biggest risk if you do anything to the system including using a system cleaner you may end up with more failures or, if there is enough crud in the system, blockages. There is always a small risk of damaging the boiler as it too will be suffering due to the poor condition of the system.

My instinct is to tell you to get some help with your landlord from CAB or the like but I understand that this may be difficult

If you do try to have a go yourself then I'd be inclined to remove individual radiators and flush each one with a hose before refitting - at least you'll get a significant amount of the crud out.

Cleaner - http://www.screwfix.com/p/sentinel-x400-system-restorer-1ltr/89458
Inhibitor - http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-central-heating-protector-f1-500ml/77218

Thanks for the replies guys, i do appreciate the comments re the LL but at a £200 saving per mth on the rent compared to the going rate i'd just put up with his crap as this just helps me save more towards my own home & being here over the last 4-5yrs i've managed to save a decent amount that would have otherwise not been so quickly achieved. Touch wood though that this will be the first real exp that i've had to cover in this house......

With regard to the F3 cleaner, is that not a fairly aggressive cleaner as compared to the x400? I think i would prefer to go with a less aggressive cleaner in order to TRY and avoid exposing more issues with the boiler and pipework if at all possible.

Newboy comments that i should flush out the rads, these are new rads that have NOT been fitted yet, so do i still want to flush em before fitting them?

I only intend on living here for a further 2yrs till i have that 40% deposit and ready to jump ship....

Sponsored Links
Newboy comments that i should flush out the rads, these are new rads that have NOT been fitted yet, so do i still want to flush em before fitting them?

Not necessary - only existing radiators that you intend to retain need flushing.

oh ok, so that would just be the one rad then, although i'm leaning towards to replacing it as i don't want to be dealing with another failure a few weeks/mths later!

Change all the rad's,refill system with one of the above cleaners allow it to circulate for a week,drain it out and add an inhibitor.

I used this technique before to clean system pipes and rads,added cleaner to system,get system hot,set to heating only,close bypass valve if applicable(if it leaks water Stop) ,turn boiler thermostat to low,turn off all but one radiator with radiator valve (if they leak water stop) otherwise run the heating through that one rad for an hour it helps in your case as it cleans the supply pipes to that rad,after an hour turn on another rad and turn off previously ckeaned rad/pipes,so your pumping with more velocity through one rad at a time.Then repeat one rad at the time,Stay near boiler in case it starts to overheat if it does turn off immediately.

Finally turn on all rads and drain out after 1 week then add inhibitor.

The existing system may have a design fault to encourage rapid corrosion,is it a conventional system or a combi ?.

Post photos here,helps the guy's to give advice.

I suspect you have had a pumping over problem!

Or have been refilling if a sealed system.

Chemicals are not that important if a system is clean and operating properly.

For new rads X300 cleanser is the correct chemical although it does not deal with dirt in the pipes but that would usually be minimal.

Tony

I appreciate all the advice guys! I will post a pic of the boiler when i get home. Agile, you commented on the pump thing, i know that the LL changed this himself probably 2yrs ago, and i have no idea if he knew what he was doing or not, lol! Will post a pic of the pump as well.

Every property I had bought had rubbish heating system's so i was getting good at cleaning and flushing, Quiet a few years ago when the only chemical available was fernox.

It came in a gallon container's and was rather nasty stuff to say the least but it worked.

I could spot a servowarm radiator or boiler within seconds,never bought a property with servowarm masterrad boiler but had properties with exploding servowarm radiators.

In a place now and its all electric panel heating and electric mains water cylinder(newish build) with a gas fire. Do I miss cleaning sludge ? no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back