Burying cable in brick pillar

Sponsored Links
Frankly, I can't really see why the cable count to simply be clipped to the back (or side, if not 'in view') of the pillar and then brought through a hole to wherever the light was to be located. Even if the pillar were hollow, that would be far simpler than fiddling around inside a pillar which one hoped (not necessarily with certainty) might be hollow.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Does the fence not go between (at least the 'side of') that pillar and the neighbour's garden (if that's what it is), potentially providing an inconspicuous place where one could clip a cable? If the ivy can get in there, so probably could a cable.

Either put it on the other face, as I suggested, or drill through horizontally from one face to the other (observing the usual precautions to avoid spalling) as suggested by jamesmcbride.

Burying the cable in a mortar joint would be a lot of work, and impossible to do if armoured cable is used, because of bend radius.

Ok, time to fess up... I did a trial using my Dremmel + tile cutting bit to see if it would be easy to chase out the mortar. Turns out it was surprisingly easy, although a bit dusty. After that, I just carried on and ended up with this:

I'll fill in the chase tomorrow with either mortar or frame sealant. I've used 0.75mm outdoor 'pond cable' fed in plastic conduit inside the hit & miss fence panel to feed the 4w led ip65 fitting. The supply is also RCD protected. I realise this is perhaps not the correct way to do this and I'm prepared for criticism from the professionals, but this seemed the neatest and most pragmatic solution.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back