Burying Roots In Garden...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

hired a digger to dig out stumps. The stumps where the remainder of six 70ft Leylandi all quite close together and so roots systems inter-twined.

A 3 tonne digger was unable to lift them out so I flipped them over dug a deeper hole and buried them.

However I have dug out quite a lot of the root system and left with a large pile in my garden.

I have dug a sizeable hole to bury them and whilst doing so had a landscaper drop by and cast doubt about buying them as he says when I bury them mildew may rise to surface from decaying would and affect the turf I am aiming to lay in the back garden.

He has "heard" this happen but never actually seen it.

It won't burn as its soaking wet from being in clay soil.

The hole is about 4ft to 5 ft deep. I aim to put it in and compact it down with digger arm then fill with earth and use weight of digger to compact the soil.

Will I have issues with my turf?

Kind regards, Gordon

Attachments

• IMG_7364.JPG
    IMG_7364.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_7365.JPG
    IMG_7365.JPG
    385.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7366.JPG
    IMG_7366.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_7367.JPG
    IMG_7367.JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
I've no idea about mildew but as the roots decay, I'd think that your lawn would slump in that area.

you could stack them to dry, then they will burn. Cutting them up makes it quicker. Or take them to the tip. You could burn them wet but it will be smoky. I dispose of small amounts of dry wood in the chimena.

I have had hollows in the lawn where the roots of an old oak rotted, but in a flowerbed or veg patch it would not matter. A lawn needs to be flat.

The fungi that live on dead wood will not affect your lawn. However if you have any trace of bootlace or honey fungus, burn all scrap wood or take to tip. It is very pernicious and will kill trees, roses, rhubarb, grape vines etc.

Sponsored Links
He is quite right you could end up with fairy rings which are almost impossible to get rid of you just need to wait them out usually. They are not common in gardens but more often seen on heavily managed turf like golf courses which are highly fertilized and they need quite specific conditions but they do grow on rotting organic matter such as tree stumps. Also of course the soil will settle as it rots.

IF you bury it as deep as a couple of feet I doubt it would be an issue but obviously no ones knows for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back