Bus ..Credit where due.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea Ken !! About time the children were considered .. and the school run .. Two birds with one stone.
Children to get free bus travel
It is hoped the move will reduce school run traffic
Under 16s are to travel for free on London buses and trams from September.
Mayor Ken Livingstone has announced children under 14 will automatically be allowed on buses but 14 to 16-year-olds will need to apply for Oyster cards.

Funny how, in our area the cost of children bussing to / from school just about negates their 'child allowance'. Planned or what?
:D

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Good idea Ken !! About time the children were considered .. and the school run .. Two birds with one stone.
Children to get free bus travel
It is hoped the move will reduce school run traffic
Under 16s are to travel for free on London buses and trams from September.
Mayor Ken Livingstone has announced children under 14 will automatically be allowed on buses but 14 to 16-year-olds will need to apply for Oyster cards.

Funny how, in our area the cost of children bussing to / from school just about negates their 'child allowance'. Planned or what?
:D
not living in london for some years i was unaware that the free travel had gone? when i was at school i got free travel did you not get it when you were at school pip?(I know it was a long time ago to remember ;) )

As far as I remember, there was free travel by bus when I lived in Golders Green up to 1973.

I remember something called the "statutory walking distance for schoolchildren". If you lived more than three miles from the school you got your bus fairs paid. THREE MILES!!! Come on you money grubbing s**ts. I can still remember my disbelief at this and asking how many politicians would be prepared to walk three miles to work.

I also remember that we could travel half fair on buses regardless of age as long as we were in school uniform. That was the theory. Mostly it was true but one miserable old git of a bus conductor would never believe it and threatened to throw us off if we didn't have the full fair. She even had the cheek to keep the half fair we had already paid so it cost us a fair and a half. If that was you and you're reading this I'd really like to see you again - flat on your back staring 15 MeV in the face!

Sponsored Links
We had free coach transport to and from school (countryside) No standard bus on the route. (10m round trip)

We live 3.5 m distant on pretty much £1-34 roads at school times, 8 yrs ago free bus passes were withdrawn, in one step change.
I now know why so many friends seemed to be embracing Catholicism, their school is good and believe it or not, the council provides free transport for the pupils ... Is that PC then ? Quite gutting really.
:eek: :D ;)

I remember the 3-mile limit being introduced - about 1977,i think (I was in second year at school)
Lived in a village about 3 miles from the nearest secondary school - we had to pay to go to school,one of my schoolmates four doors up the road didn't :cry:

And as for child allowance - it pays almost exactly for my sons bus fare and dinner money (perhaps pipme is right - its planned by someone!)

I went to a school in a different area. The council there paid for bus passes for school kids who lived in the area, but our council didn't. So, it cost my parents about £700 a year in train season tickets.

Back