business tips.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im very curious about how you older guys managed to be self employed before mobilephones etc. how on earth did you recieve job queries without mobile phone if you were sole trader??? i advertise on net which is great. but how did you fellows cope before the net? local papers? waste of time in my experience. yellow pages? a joke. maybe it was different 15-20 years ago.really interested in how you managed back then to get yourselfs noticed,

started out a year ago and sending xmas cards to all those ive done work for so they dont forget about me!! what methods have u chaps found best to drum up business?printing out few 1000's leaflets and droppping them off in my neighbourhood. i also drop of 15 leaflets at neighbouring houses where ive just done work, only takes couple of mins. installs i find an advertising sandwich board outside the house is useful too!!

Sponsored Links
you need a phone no which someone sensible will answer

some wives are suitable. otherwise there are "secretarial services" you can pay for who offer a phone answering and messaging service.

and then you had to "call the office" quite often while you were out.

If the person answering the phone learned to understand the business, and could plot your jobs for you (e.g. on a town map pinned to the kitchen wall) they could give well-informed information about your likely availability and arrival times/dates

you've heard of the Tantric Plumber, haven't you?

I bought my first mobile phone in 1995 :eek: and it paid for itself on the first day's work it got me. They were expensive in those days...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back