Butt Hinges with two height adjustment screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My upvc door is not sealing properly at the top and has a small gap from where air can get in.

I am guessing that I need to move the door up a few millimetres.

I am not sure however which screws to tinker with. Most of the videos I have seen show a cap on the top or bottom of the hinge that you pop off and adjust to change the height. My hinges have two caps, one on top and one on bottom. I am not sure which ones to adjust - any advise ?

Sponsored Links
Can you post a pic?

If it is something like this:
challenger-butt-hinge-for-upvc-doors__72145.1602596261.jpg
The bottom cover should house the height adjustment.

Last edited:
Pics attached. I adjusted the bottom ones and it was clipping against the bottom of the door.
Also, the draught gap seems to be about 4mm and these hinges can only do ~2mm but it seems like they don't want to budge much vertically either way unless it's downward.

Attachments

• hinge1.jpg
    hinge1.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 148
  • hinge2.jpg
    hinge2.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 186
  • hinge3.jpg
    hinge3.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 138
  • hinge4.jpg
    hinge4.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
I may be wrong, but It looks as if it is a Mila iDeal rebated butt hinge.

https://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/mila-ideal-euro-rebate-door-hinge-white-22mm-leg-13mm-axis.html

The height adjustment is achieved by a moving backplate.
I am trying to look for some fitting instructions to see if there is anything we are missing!
You know your hinges, that's for sure.
What do you mean by the black plate ?
Also, I was thinking of replacing the hinges with some patriot flag hinges - is that doable or am I condemned to these hinges ?

It is possible to replace the butt hinges for the Patriot Flag hinges ( usually use PAtriot Plus myself ) . Make sure you get a jig though as makes it much easier to line up!

I'm afraid I haven't found a manual yet.

However, the back plate holds the two pins in this image:
upload_2021-10-6_10-59-1.png

Adjusting the height on many hinges will move the leaf up and down, hence using the bottom adjustment.
With the Mila, it's the pins on the backplate that are moved, it is likely that the top cover houses the height adjustment!

All a moot point if you choose flag hinges though! :)

It is possible to replace the butt hinges for the Patriot Flag hinges ( usually use PAtriot Plus myself ) . Make sure you get a jig though as makes it much easier to line up!
Do you have a link to the jig you speak of?

Also, will I need to take the door off ? or can I swap out one hinge at it time ?

And finally, the holes drilled into the door, I'm guessing the door has a metal frame/core so it should hold, yes ? Not sure whether I will need to tap the screw holes or just drill a smaller hole and screw in.

I'm afraid I haven't found a manual yet.

However, the back plate holds the two pins in this image:
View attachment 246102

Adjusting the height on many hinges will move the leaf up and down, hence using the bottom adjustment.
With the Mila, it's the pins on the backplate that are moved, it is likely that the top cover houses the height adjustment!

All a moot point if you choose flag hinges though! :)
Thanks mate. I think I'm going to upgrade the hinges, I need more adjustment because of the gaps but it looks like these hinges are knackered, the height adjustment isn't really working alas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back