Buy a boiler online and get gas engineer to install?

Here's another "prove it!" man.
Why do you think everyone is a liar???
I'll dig out the receipt this time and then you can take your 3 neurons back indoors.
Not a prove it man - More interested in how Boxt can make this a business model

I know they buy hundreds of boilers but doubt they beat builder merchants by much

Also if you buy your own you can specify exactly what you want rather than the default

I actually think Boxt is good and i was close to using them myself but I had a floor standing boiler and flue of 6M high so they were not able to price it in any event

Sponsored Links
Also if you buy your own you can specify exactly what you want rather than the default

I used a Vaillant registered installer, who supplied the boiler plus filter, AND specified the models I wanted. Start with the make, then find a maker's registered installer.

So did I. Vaillant Ecotec plus 418, supplied and fitted £1640. 7 years guarantee.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't work like that. The GS engineer will have trade accounts with merchants and will get trade prices based on the volume of purchases in a year. If you ring the merchant to make a one off purchase you will be quoted a much higher cash-sale price.

To get a comparison, ask your installer for a supply and fit price and a separate install only price. Add your on-line materials price to the install only price and see how it compares with the supply and fit price.
many merchants are selling to public at same price as to the trade and saying to trade your bonus is you have 7 weeks to pay

Not a prove it man - More interested in how Boxt can make this a business model

I know they buy hundreds of boilers but doubt they beat builder merchants by much

I actually think Boxt is good and i was close to using them myself but I had a floor standing boiler and flue of 6M high so they were not able to price it in any event
bg used to pay 5% above build cost for various makes of boilers with the thousands of boilers boxt fit they will be on similar deals far far cheaper than a merchant can buy from manufacturers then merchants have to put there mark up on

I just did a quick check on Boxt - Assume standard boiler heat only wall flue for a large house and reccomended a Ideal Logic2 Max 30kw Heat - Price is 2,945

I can buy the boiler for 1300 with a flue - Boxt will do a water treatment, quick flush and stick it on - Where is the 1700 difference gone? No TRVs, mag filter etc selected - Just a simple boiler swap to try and get the "5% above build cost" that was quoted here

I honestly want to see evidence that these guys can do a better job then trying to do it yourself - So far I have not been convinced

Not every job is a straight swap, is it.
That £1700 is £1400 + vat.
I wouldn't say that's too far out, is it?

Not every job is a straight swap, is it.
That £1700 is £1400 + vat.
I wouldn't say that's too far out, is it?
Fascinating - is that a days work or two days work from 10 - 3?

Honestly some people on this forum have a complex understanding of fair pricing when people earn 1400 a month...

Of course I am going to get the stories of how tradesmen need vans, diesel, tools, lunch and highly expensive multi year university education which allows to charge what barristers would earn.

Honestly some people on this forum have a complex understanding of fair pricing when people earn 1400 a month...

Of course I am going to get the stories of how tradesmen need vans, diesel, tools, lunch and highly expensive multi year university education which allows to charge what barristers would earn.

If McDonald's aren't paying you enough, you could always try Tescos. (y)

I don't earn as much in a day as my heating engineer charges me. I also hate plumbing and I am neither competent or qualified to install a gas boiler, so I pay up and look cheerful. :)

The only competent, qualified people available to me all charge a similar daily rate so the only thing I can do is choose one of them. As they are all similar rates I accept that this is the going rate for the job in my area.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

Jack, no one is forcing you to go to a tradesman who wants to charge £**.**
Living in a society where you do what you want to- no one twisting your arm.
The kick in the nuts arrives when the guy nailing the boiler onto the wall starts to have trouble or sometime later you have to get the manufacturers to attend to a warranty call.

You are a free man, take advice you like and get the job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back