Buy British

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
'Buy British!' Britons celebrate boycott of EU goods as poll shows huge switch (msn.com)

Researchers found 34 percent had stopped buying goods and services from the EU since the UK finally severed ties on December 31. Costs and delays were cited as the biggest concerns for younger consumers, with 24 percent of 16-24-year-olds suggesting an increase in cost had put them off. In addition, 26 percent suggested increased delays were behind the decision to stop shopping with Europe.

I can certainly see this gaining some traction, although cross channel freight levels are almost back to normal and delays have abated, the frogs, by their arrogance and pathetic attempts at 'punishing us' may just have shot themselves in the foot.

My wife has strict instructions to only purchase wine made in Australia, S.Africa, Chile and California (in that order).

If occasionally, Aldi knock out a Chateau Neuf De Pape for a tenner a pop, I've told her it's ok to pick up a couple of bottles, after all, I'm not one to bear a grudge.

Sponsored Links
If you were serious about buying British, you would give up all that continental muck.

I've started hearing this a lot from brexers.

Ironic really.
Brexit was sold as getting more freedom, yet here they are giving themselves less freedom.

No doubt the flag wavers will be along soon with their jingoism

PS unlike brexers who only thought this up last week, I'm a true patriot who has always supported British producers, I've been buying from my local farm shop for many years.

Sponsored Links
I'm a true patriot who has always supported British producers, I've been buying from my local farm shop for many years.
Presumably only seasonal shopping for you then?

Cut out EU foodstuffs and the shelves will look very bland, especially in the winter months.

No more shopping in Aldi or Lidl for your average brexiteer either.

But it's ironic that people who allegedly wish to boycott EU products are quite happy to buy green beans from Kenya and asparagus from Peru!

And what other goods are 'made in the UK'?
(Napoleon was right btw)

Plus I'm assuming that people are happy to suffer power cuts, since they'll be urging a boycott of the electricity supplies from 5 EU countries?

Have you checked how much electricity we import vs how much we export? This is more a balancing of supply demand rather than a shortfall.

Have you checked how much electricity we import vs how much we export? This is more a balancing of supply demand rather than a shortfall.
It's a mutual exchange when one side needs more than the other and vice versa.
But if we don't get it from them, then we don't have to supply the EU. Real third country stuff!

But hey, if people wish to boycott EU 'services' do they know who owns most of the utilities and transport in the UK?
Yep, it's mainly EU companies/governments!

And of course our wind farm machinery is mainly sourced from the EU.

Plus our new Nuclear power stations are to be built by EDF - French!

Do you have any up to date statistics? The latest I can find is for five years ago, or more. The energy imports since then have been growing.
You also need to consider that UK imports much of its fuel for generating electricity.
upload_2021-2-19_10-53-13.png

And will this proposed link be to export more electricity to France:
a firm Aquind, which wants to build a cable linking the UK and French electricity grids.
https://www.bbc.com/news/education-56030674

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back