Buy more glazing bars or use wider sheets and more buttons? First attempt..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I hold the whole of the outside edges of a 10mm polycarbonate roof down with buttons? Spend less, and reach over wide sheets to fix it all together?

If you have a glass of malt and a Havana :rolleyes: you can get stuck in to details...

Question is whether reaching over a 2m panel to fit buttons would be difficult... or should I spend out on more glazing bars?

5m wide roof. 'GB'= Glazing bar , 'B' = Buttons F= F profile

Option 1

F B [2m panel] [GB] [1m panel] [GB] [2m panel] B F

or (much more money but easier to fix?)...

Option 2

F [1m panel] [GB] [1m panel] [GB] [1m panel] [GB] [1m panel] [GB] [1m panel] F

Sponsored Links
2m would be a struggle- fixing corrugated sheets with stainless screws, 1m was iffy getting enough pressure on the bit to stop it jumping and ragging the screw heads.
10mm twinwall is fairly robust but I wouldn't fancy sitting on a typical leanto structure trying to nail it down. Spend the money......

2m would be a struggle- fixing corrugated sheets with stainless screws, 1m was iffy getting enough pressure on the bit to stop it jumping and ragging the screw heads.
10mm twinwall is fairly robust but I wouldn't fancy sitting on a typical leanto structure trying to nail it down. Spend the money......

Got that.
Thanks.
Just saw on youtube that I can use a aluminium f section on outer edges/sides instead of using glazing bars saving a bit more money. Its over 15' high, house-side so best not make it too difficult.

Sponsored Links
10mm sheet is thin I would advise using 16mm
Why?:cry:

Pitch is 5 1/2-12. Overall 5m w x 3-3.6 long.
Joists at 1014mm centres...

Hail?
Snow?
How about glazing bars over every joist? There will be purlins at gutter end and halfway up towards ledger plate. I have plenty of spare 5"X2" after cocking up the birdsmouth cuts :(

Wide panels flex a lot in the slightest wind and in addition to the noise, suction puts a lot of strain on end fixings. Are 2m wide sheets even made?

We have a DIY conservatory built by former occupants of the property. It has 10mm twinwall roofing that is over 30 years old. Built with 1m spans @2.5m length. Wind does cause flexing, and with the recent storms, we opened the door during the wind to minimise the pressure difference and help keep the roof on. The Conservatory goes around 2 sides of the bungalow and consists of 19 panels in total. The wooden rafters have rotted and will be replaced this summer along with new twinwall panels.
Hail has never been a problem, although it can get quite noisy. Snow has accumulated to a depth of 12 inches in the past which I removed with a homemade scraper that I threw on top and pulled off with some rope. The twinwall is attached by aluminium bars and and a single Button in the middle at the bottom of each panel. YMMV.

We have a DIY conservatory built by former occupants of the property. It has 10mm twinwall roofing that is over 30 years old. Built with 1m spans @2.5m length. Wind does cause flexing, and with the recent storms, we opened the door during the wind to minimise the pressure difference and help keep the roof on. The Conservatory goes around 2 sides of the bungalow and consists of 19 panels in total. The wooden rafters have rotted and will be replaced this summer along with new twinwall panels.
Hail has never been a problem, although it can get quite noisy. Snow has accumulated to a depth of 12 inches in the past which I removed with a homemade scraper that I threw on top and pulled off with some rope. The twinwall is attached by aluminium bars and and a single Button in the middle at the bottom of each panel. YMMV.

Thanks for that. Reassuring stuff. The open-door-prevents-roof-removal part is interesting as my build is a lean to roof with one open side- rather than a sealed up room. It's going to be close boarded fencing with triangle of shiplap fixed up into one 'gable end'(?) of the roof.
......so am reading that it won't get the roof pulled apart with all the air moving around freely....
And I'll have buttons 3 per sheet centrally.

"......so am reading that it won't get the roof pulled apart with all the air moving around freely....
And I'll have buttons 3 per sheet centrally.
The air inside the conservatory is stationary, therefore at a higher pressure than the windier outside air. With the door shut, the panels visibly flex outwards due to the pressure difference. We are lucky that the door is not facing the prevailing winds, otherwise, the outcome might be different. A lean to will have different problems, if the wind blows towards the open side, but the 3 buttons will help.

Last edited:
So it’s 5m width. What is the projection? Fixing buttons are no good. It doesn’t matter how well sealed they are you’ll always get moisture down the flutes directly below them. Wide poly sheets, no bars and fixing buttons should only be used on a shed or outbuilding where you don’t mind it looking shyte.

[QUOTE="^woody^, post: 4554927, member: 37821] Are 2m wide sheets even made?[/QUOTE]

Biggest sheets are 2100 wide x 6000 long mate.

[QUOTE="^woody^, post: 4554927, member: 37821] Are 2m wide sheets even made?

Biggest sheets are 2100 wide x 6000 long mate.
That's mad. Surely those are not meant to be installed as one sheet, rather to be cut down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back