Buying a barratt new build... bricks appear soaked?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are 5 weeks away from estimated completion of this new build. We have already legally exchanged contracts, paid a deposit etc.

This week we noticed bricks were completed. The weather conditions this week have been very wet and cold.

The bricks appear very dark and some white patches. I am concerned they could be soaking wet but can't touch them due to the fence.

I feel they may have built the bricks in poor conditions due to the pressure to complete the build on time.

Should I be concerned? What should I do?

See attached photo.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210207_093133.jpg
    20210207_093133.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 241
Sponsored Links
Can't see clearly from the pic; the white patches will be salts coming out of the brick as it dries out - not unusual.
Once the build is completed, the salt may continue to appear for a couple of years each spring, but should gradually get less each time; nothing to worry about.
Google 'efflorescence'.

Can't see clearly from the pic; the white patches will be salts coming out of the brick as it dries out - not unusual.
Once the build is completed, the salt may continue to appear for a couple of years each spring, but should gradually get less each time; nothing to worry about.

Thank you. Should I be concerned about the bricks being so dark in colour possibly being soaked with water?

Sponsored Links
Can’t see anything from the picture, other than what looks like blocks not bricks so they’ll end up getting rendered. If they’ve been saturated they need to dry out before rendering

Can’t see anything from the picture, other than what looks like blocks not bricks so they’ll end up getting rendered. If they’ve been saturated they need to dry out before rendering
Thanks. I mean the blocks. Is it concerning they could be soaked?

Well surely you are not buying a house with those horrible blocks on the front. :eek:

Is it being rendered or cladded with something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back