Buying a barratt new build... bricks appear soaked?

Tell a white lie? Bring the snagger to a home demo in the guise of a (include most believable) father/mother, brother/sister,partner, polyamorist partner / whatever while you view? They also happen to be a builder/surveyor or whatever, but are there in a personal rather than professional capacity?
Wonder if a barratt palace bod would have the guts to ask you to leave while you both poke around?

Sponsored Links
Well it's up to you whether you accept those terms or not. Those I've surveyed for didn't, and some were glad they didn't too.

Your chances of getting issues acknowledged/resolved before you hand over money are significantly greater than afterwards.

A list of snagging items does not delay the purchase. What it does is have a record and an agreement to consider or resolve issues stapled to the form with your signature on it.

If they want to complete they should let it be checked, having said that if you have exchanged contracts your committed anyway. I bought a new build and had to threaten to picket their sales office to get issues dealt with. Once they realised I was serious they actually did something about it.

The flooding in my garage I had to solve on my own. Rectified with the help of neighbours to remove 5 wheelbarrows full of mortar and rubble from the drains to prevent it overflowing into my garage.

I became concerned after they told me it had been checked clear 3 times before I lifted the lids myself. They are not interested after they have your money and the NHBC are run by the builders themselves, check who is on the board of directors.

And make sure they are selling you a freehold - not a dodgy leasehold . Also check out maintenance fees for the estate - councils are letting that responsibility go , on the quiet.

Sponsored Links
The flooding in my garage I had to solve on my own. Rectified with the help of neighbours to remove 5 wheelbarrows full of mortar and rubble from the drains to prevent it overflowing into my garage.

That was a soakaway;)

I'm going to maybe buy something I can check the moisture level with myself if I'm not allowed to get it snagged before completion. Any recommendations or tips?

Its timber framed also so dont want the blocks to be so wet they could rot?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back