buying a house. Building regs for old work??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house I am buying has had various things done to it over the years. Last owner been there 15 years. Owner before him removed structural wall to make lounge bigger (probably 20 years ago). My sollicitor says that I have to buy an insurance policy on behalf of the mortgage lender due to modifications without {proof of} building regs approval.

Now, the last owner extended an extension and he does not have any paper work from the building regs approval either. Apparently it can all be covered under this policy. Last owner insists that he had building officer out, but 15 years ago, they were only interested in the footings for the new part of the extension. It actually became the kitchen and my solicitor says that I should have change of use approval aswell.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am a bit worried about having this insurance especially when I come to sell or make alterations (i want to change the extension again - the extension that has no regs) sounds like a can of worms.

I am not looking for expert legal advice. I already have a solicitor that has confused me about this. I just want to know if it is a familiar thing now-a-days.

Sponsored Links
Back