Buying a house - window can't support brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of buying an old house (300 years old) and the building survey has picked up that a downstairs UPVC window is supporting the bricks above and it’s not strong enough. The survey says:

"To the front elevation there is some evidence of cracking to the brickwork immediately above the dining room window which may indicate the quality of support to the window is not great. Ideally the windows should have been replaced either by a FENSA registered contractor or with the benefit of Building Regulation approval to ensure that the support above the opening is adequate."

"It is possible that the original windows, which probably were timber provided support to the brickwork at this point and that the new windows are also providing such support which clearly is unsatisfactory. It may be necessary to provide some support either using Helifix wall ties or similar."

I’ve spoken to one builder who has quoted £1000 to put in wall ties as suggested in the survey (builder A)

Another builder has suggested something totally different. He says to remove the window to install a new lintel and relay above brickwork, install a new A rated window then make good the plaster inside the house, at a cost of £2700-£3000 + vat. (builder B)

This is the first house I’ve bought and I know nothing about building. Both approaches are totally different and I'm not sure which one is the current route to go down.

Can anyone give me advice on this situation please?

Sponsored Links
The subject is wrong apologies. It should read can’t, not can.

The better solution is to put a lintel in- Helifix ties are splendid things but (imho) they're not ideal for your circs.
I'd get some more quotes for inserting a lintel- unless you're on rubble walls it's a very simple and straightforward job, lintel £200, labour 2 blokes for a day, hire of 4 acros with strongboys, half a day for a plasterer to make good. Def not 3k :), if the window is recent then no need to replace it.

Sponsored Links
The better solution is to put a lintel in- Helifix ties are splendid things but (imho) they're not ideal for your circs.
I'd get some more quotes for inserting a lintel- unless you're on rubble walls it's a very simple and straightforward job, lintel £200, labour 2 blokes for a day, hire of 4 acros with strongboys, half a day for a plasterer to make good. Def not 3k :), if the window is recent then no need to replace it.

Thank you. I'll look into getting more quotes. Do you have an idea of how much I should be paying?

It depends on the construction of the wall. If the window opening is original and it is 9 inch solid brickwork then it possibly has a timber lintel internally and some kind of brick arch externally. If the timber lintel is still sound then you could just strengthen the external brickwork with stainless steel ties laid horizontally in the mortar bed joints above the window and/or rebuild the arch.

If the window opening has been added again it depends on the construction and width of the opening.

Any chance of a photo?

Here's a picture

https://imgur.com/a/HxT0H6V

HxT0H6V

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point about the listed bit. Are any of the other windows in a similar state? (Good odds they'll have been fitted to the same standard).
Pics would help as would some dimensions. If it is (as the report implies) brick and in reasonable condition then Helibars will be cheapest and easiest (no internal work needed). £1500 ought to get a lintel in

Good point about the listed bit. Are any of the other windows in a similar state? (Good odds they'll have been fitted to the same standard).
Pics would help as would some dimensions. If it is (as the report implies) brick and in reasonable condition then Helibars will be cheapest and easiest (no internal work needed). £1500 ought to get a lintel in

Thank you. This window is the largest window on the ground floor and all other windows as much smaller without as much load above them. Surveryor has only identified this window as an issue. I don't know the dimensions exactly by maybe about 1.6m by 1.6m?

Wall ties are not for supporting brickwork. You need a lintel to do that

Only an idiot would suggest wall ties, but could the reference to "Helifix" mean a forming a lintel using the Helifix lintel system, not the ties?

Wall ties are not for supporting brickwork. You need a lintel to do that

Only an idiot would suggest wall ties, but could the reference to "Helifix" mean a forming a lintel using the Helifix lintel system, not the ties?
Yeah, using the Helibars and resin to form a lintel was my thinking anyway- depends on the brickwork :)

I've only just noticed the photo after OP re-posted the question.

Those window openings are not original and have been added/enlarged, you can see where the brickwork is different plus the tile creasing (very 1930's) and the proportions are totally wrong for an early Georgian house.

You need to investigate the exact construction and condition of the existing lintel. I suspect you will need to strengthen the brickwork either by horizontal ties in the bed joints, new lintel to the unsupported outer brickwork or possibly a complete new lintel to support the full thickness of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back