Buying a house - Work understaking suspected without consent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at a house and seems like a fair amount of structural work has taken place. Main one being the wall between the two reception rooms has been taken down. Now I may be wrong and the planning has been sought and is up to standard, looks like a beam has been put in which is a good start! If it turns out that planning has not been sought where do I stand with this? Would I be able to file for retrospective permission? Worst comes to the worse and I have to put the wall back up, not such a big deal for me.

Any input most welcome.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Unless your house is listed or in a conservation area internal structural work is unlikely to require Planning Permission. However, the work you describe is likely to have required Building Regulation approval from Building Control. They will be able to tell you if the work was inspected and approved. If it wasn't, there's a process called "Regularisation" which affords you the opportunity to get work signed off retrospectively for the purposes of compliance with the Building Regulations.

Thanks for that. I know planning can be a right pain but wasn't sure about the ins and outs, so glad planning may not have been required. Its definitely not listed so hopefully the work was carried out to building regs. Can I just ring up my local building control to come round and take a look, obviously paying them for the privilege...

Hopefully the beam that is currently in place is adequate, anything else building control would normally bring up?

If the internal wall was load-bearing and you submit a Regularisation application, Building Control will inspect the beam to check the bearings, etc... and they will most likely ask the beam (if present) to be backed up with structural calculations/details.

Sponsored Links
You say that you are looking at this house with a view to buying. If this is the case the possible breach of planning/building regs is not your problem. If you go ahead with possible purchase your solicitor will ask the questions of the vendor, and the HIP should show any work done and whether permission/regs were done. Also a structural survey should have been done for the HIP, which should piock up any problems.

the HIP should show any work done and whether permission/regs were done. Also a structural survey should have been done for the HIP, which should piock up any problems.

I am not very well versed in HIPs, but I doubt very much that the person carrying out the HIP inspection will be qualified/experienced enough to identify recent structural work that would have required BRegs approval unless it is of the blindingly obvious variety.

Also a structural survey should have been done for the HIP, which should piock up any problems.

Never in a month of Sundays.

Thanks chaps, most helpful. I always thought HIPS is only for House efficiency etc...?

I will be speaking to my solicitor about this as he is concerned with this also as this was brought up by the surveyor, I'm assuming this will be part of the some of the searches they can do?

HIP’s does not cover as much as was originally intended & has fewer teeth. In it’s present guise it’s mainly useless as far as giving much protection to the purchaser & seen as an unnecessary & expensive pain for the seller but it does now include a compulsory Property Information Questionnaire which has specific questions relating to building work & structural alterations to which the seller is obliged to give truthful answers. Now not everyone is truthful but telling porkies can seriously backfire & there have been civil cases where purchasers have been awarded substantial post sale damages/discounts where misleading information was given.

Unless the seller can offer up the necessary permissions & compliance paperwork, I would want it Regularised before I proceed or need a serious discount which would cover the cost of doing it all again & then some; personally, I’d probably walk away as it would make me very suspicious of what else was being hidden.

Got a copy of the HIPS, Just reading through it and kindly it has some private local authority searches.

Section 3.9
Has a local authority authorised in relation to the property any
proceedings for the contravention of any provision contained in Building
Regulations

part of rear main wall removed (internally). Decision date: 03.04.2001 CLOSED

I'm assuming this the wall in question however I'm not sure what they mean by CLOSED. Does this mean its already been dealt with? What do they mean by proceedings? Going to give the BC a ring tomorrow to see if they are able to shed any light on this...

Well the question is just a general statement on the HIP asking if any works have proceeded without appying for Building Reg's and like you say... it appears this wall is mentioned and by closed... it sounds like the LA have seen and are happy with it, so a Regularisation certificate may have been sought.

Like you said, give the LA a call and see what the situation is :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back