Building control approval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grateful for any advice. I am converting an attic in Edinburgh. Planning permission not required although a building warrant has been applied for and feedback received that has been responded to and now awaiting final approval. Some preliminary work has taken place, photographs are being taken. As there has been a significant delay in obtaining approval I am considering commencing structural works. Any work being done will be left unplastered to allow inspection. I am confident that the work will be done in accordance with the regs. What is the worst that can happen?

Sponsored Links
In the England you would be able to start the works even if the plans had not been approved and they will come out to inspect at the normal stages so no need to expect them to do any retrospective approving.

Depending on the timescales you’re talking about, you may find that if you start doing the works before they inspect that they insist on doing it as a ‘retrospective approval’ which (in England at least) cost more.

Whilst the Regs are similar in England they are not the identical so not really sure tbh. Why not, just speak with whoevers done you drawings or god forbid Building Control themselves?

As above, really - if it's as the english routine, you should be OK starting.
But if it's 'structural', make sure you have the necessary calcs for any beams etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back