Buying a property bombed in the war which has damp on top-floor wall (ex-party/now gable)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice.

My fiancée and I are deciding whether or not to purchase a flat which is perfect except for a damp issue.

The flat comprises of the top two floors of this three-storey detached house. It was in fact originally a semi-detached house but the right-hand side property was damaged in the war and removed, hence the reason the party wall is now doing the job of the gable wall.

Internally there is clear evidence of damp in two places:

1. On the wall left of the chimney breast in the rear top floor bedroom (labelled Room 1 in the photos)

Room 1 damp.JPG Room 1 damp zoomed in (1).JPG

2. A tiny area in the top corner of the wall in the front top bedroom (labelled Room 2).

Room 2 damp.JPG

I have also attached a photo of the external wall, and labelled where I think the damp is coming through.

External wall showing location of damp.jpg

I would be very grateful if anybody can share some advice over how troubling this damp issue is, and how costly it may be to fix.

Many thanks,

Robert

Attachments

• Room 1 damp zoomed in (2).JPG
    Room 1 damp zoomed in (2).JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 262
Sponsored Links
The pattern indicates a problem with the lead flashing or the parapet, or maybe pointing .... or a bit of each.

You won't know unless it's actually looked at from the roof, not even a home survey will tell you anything more than "get the roof area looked at".

In itself it should not be a major job and should not put you off. But there are costs which need to be reflected in the sale price.

Competent roofer and a ladder or a drone survey of the roof. I'd be cautious if the seller offered to arrange repairs or a roofer to comment, but they should pay for this.

Thanks very much, really appreciate the advice. That's very helpful to know re: the home survey. Seller is selling place as it is, so won't offer to repair it. We think the price is fair, although that is difficult to know from an untrained eye. Will look to get a professional to look at roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back