Buying a van with a known coolant leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I considering buying a van which is leaking coolant.

Its a Citroen Dispatch 1.9 P Reg.

How dodgy is this? Seller says it needs topping up "after an hour" but runs fine.

Are we just talking about looking for a leaking hose / crack in radiator or can it mean theres something more sinister?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Stay away unless you can physically see where the problem is.
If it's not coming out somewhere, it's going in, which could be headgasket or something even worse!
If it was an easy fix, the seller would have done it!

depending on price my van has had a leak since i had it top it up every couple of weeks dont pressurize the system by keeping coolant cap loose done 65000 mile in the 18 months ive had it runs like a dream beleave fault to be heating matrix

Sponsored Links
If its an XUD engine the head gasket fails at anything form 100 - 200k

P reg 1.9 will be an XUD engine.

Prone to headgasket faults when allowed to overheat. Possible cause's going from cheapest to expensive are : RAD CAP Leaking, THERMOSTAT Jammed, PHYSICAL LEAK from hose and/or radiator, WATER PUMP and finaly the dreaded CYLINDER HEAD GASKET.

If you fancy a gamble it ALLWAYS pays to have a new Cam Belt fitted and get water pump done at same time. Rad cap is a tenner from local auto factors and replace thermostat is about an hour or so labour.

You could go down the cheap bodge it and scarper route of using an additive such as KSEAL if there is a minor leak from coolant pipe or radiator.

Sponsored Links
Back