New Van worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The list of things that need doing on my van is gradually getting bigger and bigger (W reg, Dispatch - needs new power steering pump, cam belt, 4 tyres, has an oil leak from somewhere, MOT due etc etc).

I was wondering if it's worth considering getting a brand new van.

Obviously there's the advantage of a warranty but I'm also interested in the deductions you can make on your tax return for depreciation?

Does anyone else wh0re brand new vans for this reason, and do the tax breaks offset the finance costs?

Ta! :p

Sponsored Links
I don't think the tax deductions take into account the fact you lose £5k the second you drive it off the forecourt. :eek:

yeah but the 2K scrapage will offset that so the yearly depreciation of £3K should cover it the first year..

you can get scrappage allowance for new vans can't you? :eek:

Sponsored Links
I ahve just purchased a new van from ford. (fiesta) it had £2200 worth of discount before we even started to haggle over the price. renault have a good deal 4 years intrest free.

dont forget if you are going to get a new van and put it on finance, you need to pay the VAT and road tax in cash as this cant be paid on finance...

Paul

renault have a good deal 4 years intrest free.

dont forget if you are going to get a new van and put it on finance, you need to pay the VAT and road tax in cash as this cant be paid on finance...

Paul

Having paid £14000 on a LWB 140HP semiauto box Trafic 4years ago, to be offered £3500 (30k on clock - luvverly drive......) means I will not be hurrying to purchase another, even at 0%.

The phase3 is out in two months, are these vans 'old' stock?

DH

i have a skudo and i love it.. but like you the list is getting bigger each year. think we spent around £1400 on it this year and still need to buy door locks and door handle as they all have broken.

But the question is can you afford a new van? is payments each month going to be easy to pay when the economy look shakey stevens ?? I now own mine and over the last few years with new house, baby and setting business up its been sometimes an expense to much each month.

Im a sole trader plumber/ oil service engineer. Me and the wife (the Boss) have opted to leave it to next year to get a van rather than this year as id hoped. Even then i'll be getting a ex bt fleet trannie or if we're flush a nearly new transporter.

Im just dont think that buying new is a good option at moment.

Well, the rad went today (£200 :oops: )

Van's now on fleabay (someone's already offered me more than I paid for it 6 months ago).

Thinking of getting a 4yo Vivaro. Can anyone comment on these?

Me too. Mines 7 years old (brought @ 3 years old - I never buy new, someone else can take the hit), never had a problem with it and can't say I'm particulary kind to it either.

~In my opinion the Vivaro drives nicer than the Transit (the only other van I'd consider), but the cab of the Trnasit is designed better with more cubby holes for paperwork and more power points so you can have the sat nav running and still be able to charge your phone without having to use adaptors - small things though.

Sponsored Links
Back