TV warranties and John Lewis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Panasonic LCD tv recently went faulty after 3 years.
Having bought it from John Lewis, it came under the 5 year guarantee.

It was looked at by the repair men, but deemed not worth fixing as needed most of it replacing.

We were offered a new TV with much better technology in than the time we bought it.
We took up the opportunity to pay a bit extra to get a bigger screen.

Frankly it's great customer service and I'm never buying a tv from anywhere else.

For £100 we have a bigger telly and a brand new 5 year warranty. :D

The Sale of Goods act means (as long as the shop hasn't gone out of business) they have to repair your tv against manufacturing defects for 6 years.

The extended warranties they try and sell you at Comet etc aren't worth the paper they're written on.
You'd probably have to argue your case which is why it's less hassle to buy from places with longer warranties.

There's no way you should be paying for a new tv after a couple of years unless you've poured water down it or something.

Sponsored Links
I fully agree James, why anyone would go to Comet, Currys etc beats me!!
They are best for customer service, they even add an extra yrs warranty on any dvd player, excellent!

John Lewis have a first-class reputation for warranties and customer service.

As they offer price match you are unlikely to get a better deal anywhere else

An LCD TV doesn't have a use by life of anymore that 5 years, so you did good to get a warranty out of them, a Plasma owner can only expect 3 years max, and Oled 1 year..

So the manufacturers release these products, knowing that people like you buy it, and knowing it will fail, at a premium price. But LCD and Plasma DON'T give a better quality picture than a good quality CRT, which has been around for 80+ years. And is easily repairable.

The new lead free solder in modern appliances means that products fail faster than ever before! But people go on buying it!

Sponsored Links
An LCD TV doesn't have a use by life of anymore that 5 years, so you did good to get a warranty out of them, a Plasma owner can only expect 3 years max, and Oled 1 year..

Where are you getting those statistics from ? And what's a "use by life" ? Do you mean use by date or life expectancy ? A good brand LCD TV should easily last 10 years + .

Where are you getting those statistics from ? And what's a "use by life" ? Do you mean use by date or life expectancy ? A good brand LCD TV should easily last 10 years + .

Check the user manual, at the back are the vital statistics, constant run hours, how long plasma takes to escape from its surroundings, and industry stats regarding OLED. Collate each version, across every TV brand, add to that personal experience of repairing them, add in break/fix common problems, I think you will find I've got the timings spot on, where are your statistics to doubt this? You have also got the added problem of manufacturers using a silver/lead solution in manufacture of the boards, when the stats were produced, as opposed to the new lead free solder, which is prone to dry joints, and premature failure of devices.

A GOOD brand LCD SHOULD last for more than 10 years, but many more lesser brands don't seem to make it, hence the stats add up.

I've a GOOD brand Bang & Ollufsen CRT TV, it's 30 years old? colour, and has a better picture than the best LCD/Plasma HD screen I've seen. No remote control though, and no teletext.

Hi, as an Engineer who repairs for John Lewis, I will say that there warranty is the best thing since sliced bread.

I see by another post on here that it was mentioned that the dealer is responsible to repair your set for 6 years.

Manufactures do not supply parts for 6 years, many pieces of equipment are only fit for scrap as parts are no longer available and the unit can not be repaired.

John Lewis will replace the the equipment if this is the case, with an equivelent model or better.

Hats off for JL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back