Buying home with garage with no building regs

If it had been built as a habitable room from day one it would’ve been constructed as a cavity wall.

But seeing you mention it was used as a sales office, makes sense: the developers I guess built it as a garage but fitted fully glazed doors and plastered it.

I did think the glazed portioning looked a bit odd, but as a divider for an office it makes sense
So the plans for the building show a patio door and the room is labelled as a family room, so seems that it's never had a garage door and wasn't designed as a garage. I'm assuming the sales team added the divider, and perhaps wall panel heating. I've contacted the original developer to see if they can shed some light onto it. So to me it's not a 'garage conversion', but a room that someone has adapted? No idea why it's now advertised as a garage conversion without building regs

Sponsored Links
It's quite typical that developers utilise a garage as a sale office, it's just that they normally convert it to a garage at the end and the first owner gets a few quid off for the inconvenience. It might well be that it never got signed off by BC, I suspect you'll never know unless you can get hold of the original Building Regs approval for the site, which you have no access to as only the original developer is privy to that, unless they give you permission.

If nothing's been converted and it's as-built then there's no issue for the future. It sounds like someone's looked at the shape and location of the room and guessed.

It may need some remedial work, but that's all completely normal when buying pretty much any second-hand house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back