buying house with extn - no competion cert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

we are buying a house that has been extended. The seller did this over 20 years ago, had all the inspections except the final one, so has no completion certificate.

He wrote to the council 15 years ago and received a letter saying "During the progress of the work inspections were made by the Officers of the Council however examinations of my records indicate that a final inspection was not made. However from the inspections which were made I can confirm that there are no outstanding Notices pursuant to the Building Regulations.".

Does anyone know how much of a problem this is and if it is bad how we can rectify it?

We will obviously be getting a full structural survey, but my main worry is what the mortgage lender will think about it.

thank you

4pudding

Sponsored Links
I doubt they will give a hoot and unless there was something majorly wrong that jumps out I wouldn’t either. 20 years ago it’s not even worth an indemnity that your solicitor will no doubt try to get you to buy.

Thanks. I don't even think the insurance is an option because the council has been notified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back