Making loft meet fire regs

Yes it would. For various reasons however we were prioritising a quick sale over maximising price. However if we simply can't sell without us doing some work then yes it would make sense to do what's necessary so we've got a legitimate 3rd bedroom, which I assume would be the result of "bringing up to code" (my original question) since that would presumably make the room habitable.

Sponsored Links
You can't regularise work that is already subject to an ongoing incomplete application.

You would need to either complete the works and get the completion certificate, or deconvert the loft and the application will be closed to that effect once inspected and confirmed it is no longer usable for living space.

Just to clarify, the original application and work was done in 1989. Our dealing with the council when they said it had been inspected but no completion certificate issued, and that they would take no retrospective action, was 2003. The house had changed hands at least once between the work being done and our purchase. Other than redecoration we've made no change to the space. Given that, would the original application still be considered ongoing and incomplete?

Sponsored Links
You can't regularise work that is already subject to an ongoing incomplete application.

You would need to either complete the works and get the completion certificate, or deconvert the loft and the application will be closed to that effect once inspected and confirmed it is no longer usable for living space.

Interesting, I didn't know that (although it makes perfect sense given there is no end date on a BR application). Hopefully will avoid paying the council another fee.

So if BC come next week, which regs would they apply, today's or 1989?

Don’t they now say or BR applications that the fee you pay is on the assumption that the work is completed within 2 years? Or something to that effect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back