Buying Land.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is the right section but here goes :eek:

We have a thick hedge to one side of our garden and would need to remove it if, as we hope to do in the future, we erect a conservatory. This would still leave things a bit tight. The boundary between our house and next doors is at an angle and the combination of needing more space and rectifying this 'problem' has led us to think about making an offer to buy a strip of our neighbours garden about 5' wide and 50' long.

The elderly lady is frail and not entirely with it all the time and we therefore intend to approach a relative with a sensible offer but have no idea of what to offer. I guess it's what it's worth to us and what she would want for it but a starting point to avoid embarassment, or overbidding(!) would be helpful.

Any thoughts?

please see 9

Sponsored Links
the price of the land is going to be dependant on so many variables that its impossible to say from the info you have given. I suggest speaking to an estate agent. If someone was selling their house they may wish for a valuation, during the valuation ask about the increase in your property's worth if you had the larger garden. The difference gives you an indication of the value of the land.
You will obviously need more than one valuation, I suggest halving the cost the estate agent gives as a value of the land as opposed to an increase in your property value.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back