Buying tools cheaper in america or another country??

I'm waiting for a delivery from USA and paid $49.99 + $33.20 for postage (approx £41) it's about shoe box size parcel, am'I expecting to pay anything on top of this?

First time I've done this and the reason for buying from USA, the item is not available in the UK :evil:

answers here http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...ntent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document

Goods sent as a gift are not free of import duties and import VAT. However, customs duty will not be collected if the amount is less than £7, and import VAT is not chargeable if:

the value of the gift does not exceed £36

Sponsored Links
Thanks big-all, I'm still confused :) I shall have to wait and see what happen, I'm assuming the import VAT is 17.5%(?)

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:

* customs duty
* excise duty
* import VAT

Never know, you might get lucky, lots of people do in this price range. What was it anyway? (nosey!)
A Table Foiler. There are only 2 type of table foiler in the UK but nowhere near as good as the USA

I've got a sneaking feeling you're gonna google :LOL: ;)

Unfortunately it really is a case of hope they don't and if they do how much will it be.

for a one off import, so long as you are aware you will have to pay a % of said item then its your choice to import it or not, obviously if said item is say twice as much here than America, then yes i would say go for it, PROVIDING you are aware it may need a transformer, and the warant will be void then ok.

but if its only a few quid, i would not do it.

But then again if its not available from within the EU you have no choice.

Sponsored Links
i've just re kitted myself out with the entire range of hitachi 18volt battery tools, with li-ion batteries, and the nail gun. The prices were ridiculous even with the postage and the import duty (which is all tax deductable anyway if your vat registered). The only things i've had to buy additionally are some step down transformers for the chargers. Having said that you could buy a new hitachi charger for £50. The only thing you risk is the warranty.

I haven't touched the mains powered stuff as it runs on a different cycle and so wont last.

the nail gun was delivered from washington in 3 days.

This is the company i used and have no hesitation in recommending them (via flea bay)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Hardware-Sales-Inc[/QUOTE]

Hi Thermo, Could you do a quick review on the hitachi tools, im considering the imapct driver and nail gun.
Also could you give me a break down of all costs associated?

Thanks very much, Si.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Deluks said:
He got about a grands worth of new PC parts for less than half the price.
If he didn't declare those goods upon return then he's a criminal, possibly a premeditated one.

It amazes me that people don't realise that the government, on behalf of all of us, has to collect tax income from somewhere, so your friend is only cheating himself. He's also cheating me, so I'd quite like to give him a piece of my mind.

Deluks said:
If he didn't declare those goods upon return then he's a criminal, possibly a premeditated one.

It amazes me that people don't realise that the government, on behalf of all of us, has to collect tax income from somewhere, so your friend is only cheating himself. He's also cheating me, so I'd quite like to give him a piece of my mind.

True, but taxation is adjusted for a percentage of non-payment. Of course it would be great if everyone was honest and paid everything they were supposed to as overall taxation would be reduced, but this is never going to happen. In the grand scheme of things, a few people not paying import duty on one off purchases is far from a major problem. What bothers me more is a) people who don't pay any tax, and b) those who work less hours than they are able to in order to claim state benefits.

Softus - I won't waste my time - your a lost cause :rolleyes:

O/p - If you ask nicely (and your orders worth it) the sender could giftwrap the purchases...with xmas paper and no tax bill will come.

Deluks said:

True, but taxation is adjusted for a percentage of non-payment. Of course it would be great if everyone was honest and paid everything they were supposed to as overall taxation would be reduced, but this is never going to happen. In the grand scheme of things, a few people not paying import duty on one off purchases is far from a major problem. What bothers me more is a) people who don't pay any tax, and b) those who work less hours than they are able to in order to claim state benefits.

I understand what your both saying but..

Surely your honestly not implying that if everyone in this country paid their dues the rate of tax would be any less?...they roll out this one when they talk about car tax and the t.v licences..thus trying to give the impression that the honest ones among us are compensating for the dishonest...I really dont beleive it...sure the country would benefit and im all for it and of course if we all knocked the tax man/customs the country would be in serious trouble...but I dont hold with the governments view on this.

People who dont pay any tax...they get caught in the end, they annoy me big time..I have to pay it...everyone has to pay it, as for working less hours, I blame the system for making it too easy for them

One mob who really annoy me are parents who stop there kids getting into training on apprenticeships pureley and soley because it affects their benefit

A case of you cant have a job I wont have any money for me bingo, fags and 30 quid a month mobile phone 'habit'

Perhaps the solution is to do what they do in florida...no income tax..just a state tax on goods

Avoiding or evading tax isn't cheating - its avoiding being cheated by a totaly corrupt and incompitent administration.
I don't feel cheated by people who have the initiative to save a few bob - I feel cheated by a government that doesn't give a toss what i want or think yet demands I pick up the bill.
I feel cheated when that same goverment sabotages the livelyhood of honest hardworking people by drafting in cheap foreign labour...
I feel cheated when I buy petrol and fags - its almost ALL tax!
I feel cheated when I pay my council tax but noone comes to collect my rubbish for 3 weeks

Yoiu buy your tools where3ver you like mate - good luck to ya ;)

edit - my nan felt pretty cheated when they refused her cateract treatment on the basis that she isn't worth helping at her age - even though she worked all her life.

Zampa said:
Surely your honestly not implying that if everyone in this country paid their dues the rate of tax would be any less?...they roll out this one when they talk about car tax and the t.v licences..thus trying to give the impression that the honest ones among us are compensating for the dishonest...I really dont beleive it.
It's a moot point, but the outcome is the same.

If my expectation turned out to be 'right', i.e. that the government would reduce the tax burden if everyone paid what they were supposed to, then everyone, except of course the criminals, would benefit.

On the other hand, if your expectation turned out to be 'right', i.e. that the government income would increase, then we still all stand to gain, because the treasury isn't a separate entity that keeps the money to spend on hookers and gin (no, really, it isn't), but a department that spends money on behalf of all of us.

Perhaps the solution is to do what they do in florida...no income tax..just a state tax on goods
Could be worth a go.

Durgo - a terrific air admittance valve, but this one appears to be faulty.

Sponsored Links
Back