what brand of switches and sockets should I buy ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I know the answer I'm going to get :D

I am renovating a property which I'm going to sell once done.
I've managed to save thousands of pounds buy buying materials when they have been on offer or buying cheaper products (but not always).

So, is it worth paying extra for a 'known' brand ?

I.E. the LAP range is less than half the price of MK plus range.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Not worth paying a cent more if you are selling.

LAP, perfectly good sockets etc. As are Marbo and Volex. Would I have them in my house? No

Would I be put off a house if the accessories weren't a premium brand? No

Sponsored Links
Replaced all the sockets with Wilko's stuff around £2 for a double many years back. Most of them are still fine (still tight) but one of them had a crack in it so I replaced it with a cheap MK (£4.20) and that is ok.

If I was to replace them again I would buy much better sockets, but it was all done on a massive budget last time.

Just looked at the broken one it says "HP" in it with a funny sort of 3D logo, anybody have any idea what brand it is?

The house we've just done up and sold we just put the Toolstation trade pack socket fronts on (replacing the originals which were yellow with nicotine and covered in paint)
It depends a lot on the market you are going for. This was a 3 bed ex council, no point spending money on flashy accessories. If you are doing a large Victorian place for example, decent accessories might be the finishing touch it needs.

If I was going to live in it, I'd do the same as I did in our old house, we had brushed stainless accessories with black plastic parts right through -I can't remember the make now, we got them from City Electrical, ISTR 20 doubles, a cooker point, a shaver point and several light switches were in the region of £300...
TBH I wish I'd swapped them for cheapies before we moved out. Oh well.

Ive been using deta stuff at my gaff. It fairly cheap, has a nice profile on the wall and has little caps to cover the screw holes. quite neat in my opinion.

although If I had the budget legrand do leather, wood, carbon fibre, graphite and loads of finishes. Looks the nuts. But in my gaff would look like dell boys house....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back