Metal switches/sockets onto plastic housing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

i'm looking at replacing the cheap looking plastic light switches and plug sockets in my flat with metal alternatives.

I originally considered using the LAP range (http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/lap-black-nickel-flat/cat1520007) from Screwfix however I've not heard great things; I'm now therefore looking at the Crabtree range instead (http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/crabtree-low-profile/cat830762)

My first question is - has anyone had any experience using either of the above products? I am aware that these are both 'cheap' alternatives however my budget is limited!

The housing that these will (hopefully!) attach to are plastic and there is an earth cable (currently unattached) available.

My second question is - can the earthing required for the switch be provided by simply removing the connector on the earth and connecting to the new switch?

Hopefully there is an image below showing the current installation and cabling.
Background info - The flat is brand new, therefore the walls are flat (apparently a requirement for these faceplates). The depth of the housing box is 32mm. I'm about to decorate so have no issue with the 'making good' of the new switches.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
[/img]

Sponsored Links
can the earthing required for the switch be provided by simply removing the connector on the earth and connecting to the new switch?
Yes, obviously it must actually be connected to earth. It should be but you will have to test to make sure.
The flat is brand new, therefore the walls are flat (apparently a requirement for these faceplates). The depth of the housing box is 32mm. I'm about to decorate so have no issue with the 'making good' of the new switches.
You may find the plastic of the box is slightly wider than the switch. It would be better if you can fit metal back boxes.

Both of the types mentioned will fit onto that plastic box - however they won't fit flat against the wall, as the plastic box lip will get in the way.
The only way to get them completely flat on the wall is to remove the plastic boxes and fit flush metal ones, which will involve a moderate amount of additional work.

The earth wire should be connected to the new metal switch as you describe. It really ought to be checked to confirm it is actually connected at the other end, however if a new flat, this all should have been checked already.

Sponsored Links
If you have carpets be prepared to maybe experience tiny tingles of static electric shocks when you touch the metal switches. Not a danger but can be irritating.

Test the situation pf statioc generation by touching a radiator after shuffling your feet on the carpet,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back