Metal Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of replacing all my light switches with stainless ones.

At the moment because I have white plastic switches there is no need for the face to be earthed, therefore all my earth wiring terminates to the (metal) pattress in the wall.

When fitting the new switches, should I be connecting the earth direct to the switch, or leaving it connected to the pattress and then running a short earth lead from here to the switch, or vice versa?

What is considered normal practice, and if you would do something different yourself, what? :D

Sponsored Links
As long as one of the ligs on the metal backbox is fixed and you are using metal screws to attach switchI belive this suffices as the earth.

HOWEVER - what's the hard in a link wire between the back box & the front plate for belt & braces, it's what I have done with all of mine.

Mark Elvin said:
As long as one of the ligs on the metal backbox is fixed and you are using metal screws to attach switchI belive this suffices as the earth.
Assuming this is sufficient, would it be considered normal to wire the earth to the back box or to the switch? I assume the switch would be more safe on the off-chance the metal lug doesn't conduct the earth properly?

Sponsored Links
And also well worth checking that the earth wire is continuous all the way back to the earth point. Just because there is an earth wire in the cable to the switch it does not mean the other end of the wire is connected.

Surprisely dangerous how many earth wires in switch cables are not connected at the rose.

Quick way is multi-meter to measure ohms ( or continuity ) between the switch earth and the earth pin of a socket that is known to have a good earth. Or a long wander lead to earth terminal at the meter, CU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back