Buying tools from USA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much does it cost to import tools to a value of say£500 into uk?
what do you actually pay is it vat/tax can anyone please explain? thanx

Sponsored Links
The duty costs are available on the HMC&E website. You will pay import duty and VAT.

It depends on who posts them and who delivers them. All of the major couriers will either pay your duty and invoice you afterwards, or ask for it before delivering. Very few suppliers will mark the package as a 'gift' or 'sample' in an attempt to avoid duty.

The major ebay sellers say that you will not be hit for duty or VAT, as the goods are delivered from a UK address.

When I looked at few cordless power tools from the US, by the time you have paid all the taxes and delivery costs and replaced the chargers etc to UK voltage, then costs were higher than a cheap UK supplier

i seconrd that, also see this

not the same thing but the same idea

they also charge vat on the packaging!

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
They also charge vat on the packaging!
and the cost of shipping if it appears on the invoice!

Don't forget that there may also be a freight handlers charge - DHL typically stiff you a tenner for Customs clearance from my experience

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back