Buying windows online

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am looking to buy 4 windows for my house and want to fit them myself. Can any one recommend a good online site that offers good quality windows? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am in a similar situation and found www.modernupvcwindows.co.uk an easy to use site. I haven't purchased from here so couldn't give any assurances, but reading the reviews seem to have many happy customers. In all honesty I am opting for a local manufacturer so I can actually see the quality before I commit to an order.

We got ours from here: www.perfectwoodworks.co.uk
Very good quality. If fitted to good standard your local building control will certify without problem. Just check with them beforehand.

Sponsored Links
We do supply only. We use kommerling or rehau profile. Email the sizes and I will price them.

you need to be fensa registered
Depends if you think anyone will report him to Building Control. OP may consider this very unlikely.

(And even if he was reported, what exactly would they do about it?)

Last edited:
you need to be fensa registered
Depends if you think anyone will report him to Building Control. OP may consider this very unlikely.

(And even if he was reported, what exactly would they do about it?)

OP would have trouble when he comes to sell the property if new windows have been fitted and there is no fena/certass or building control certificate , in theory could wipe thousands off the value of the house.........

OP would have trouble when he comes to sell the property if new windows have been fitted and there is no fena/certass or building control certificate , in theory could wipe thousands off the value of the house.........
Don't be silly, he'd just have to buy indemnity insurance which is a few pounds. Same as the seller of my house did.

Don't be silly, he'd just have to buy indemnity insurance which is a few pounds. Same as the seller of my house did.

thats interesting....so whats the point of fensa/certass and building control then?

thats interesting....so whats the point of fensa/certass and building control then?
Nothing, just another piece of paper. I guess it was proposed by the EU as part of its edicts on CO2 and energy taxation. Remember when they brought in compulsory home information packs in the early 2000s? Now reduced to EPCs that are all but ignored by everyone (even the people who perform those surveys admit they're meaningless). Keeps someone in a job though, somewhere.

As John says, only big or dangrous stuff needs certification. Windows and doors are trivial; houses don't fall down because someone fitted a window without a trickle vent.

Last edited:
whats the point of fensa/certass and building control then?
A house which has, for example, a loft conversion with no BC approval is much more likely to be a bodge job, with a weak floor, poor insulation, and no fire protection.

An electrical installation or a boiler that was not notified is much more likely to have been done by some unqualified cowboy.

About as safe as getting in a minicab after midnight where the driver has no licence.

Not a problem for you if you like buying incompetent bodges even after alarm bells start ringing.

I get that John , but if the home owner can buy indemnity insurance, which satisfies a solicitor , why are companies Fensa/Certass registered ....it defeats the whole object of the schemes surely

why are companies Fensa/Certass registered ....it defeats the whole object of the schemes surely
It's just a certification racket; it's serves no real purpose but itself. Businesses can't realistically expect to operate (for long) without following the rules, but for individual homeowners it so happens the 'punishment' for not getting certified is trivial.

Hmm ... i see ...I'd still want to do it through a company though that is Fensa / Certass , as you have an automatic 10 year Insurance Backed warranty now...piece of mind and all that....

The indemnity insurance is against the risk of getting caught, not for the cost of putting right the bodge job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back