Buzzing after fitting IKEA lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi so I just added some IKEA under cupboard lights to my kitchen and when they are connected I hear a buzzing now.not a serious buzzing just one of those annoying little ones.

Any ideas what can cause this, are the IKEA lights faulty?

Sponsored Links
Need more info, have they got a transformer? What type of switch are the connected with?

I've attached some photos of the components. IKEA lights are run through a transformer and all lights are switched via a pir. Current main ceiling lights are led down lights. 20160217_112717.jpg rps20160217_113329.jpg rps20160217_113153.jpg rps20160217_113219.jpg

In the first instance I'd change the PIR for a normal light switch. The down lights are they 240v or 12v ?

Sponsored Links
so yeah I got around to putting a switch on and it was fine. So I then put a new PIR switch in and that was ok. then like a couple of days later buzzing again. I think I might get some new (better) switches.

It would seem you are using a device to drop the current for the lights which will try it's best to get the current to the designed current, then you are feeding this with a device which requires some small current flow to operate the electronics as often no neutral is sent to a light switch. Either a PIR which requires a neutral so does not pass a small current through the driver or get same make of driver and PIR. Some drivers are designed to pass enough current to run the PIR but this leak current must match PIR and driver. Easy method is use a switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back