IKEA Ansluta transformer not working

The current source ( The LED driver ) is an OEM product used in 12volt 10watt LED floodights. as in picture

The dodgy 12 volt power supply is a metal box 70mm diameter and 55 mm long. Appears to be completely filled with potting compound. Not worth the effort to take it apart.The 4 leads mains in and ELV out come out through the same hole so I suspect isolation mains to ELV is less than adequate. Not bought in the UK so no point in taking it any further other than crush and recycle.

Attachments

• 12-300_flood driver.jpg
    12-300_flood driver.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 148
Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be working if its neutral is not connected to anything.

The fact that it is working suggests that it is not actually wired as you've described.
How do you know that the cables you've described as "to mains" and "to main light bulb" do go there?

Please see basic drawing below for wiring

Lighting wiring.png

Your main light shouldn't work without a neutral. The fact it is "old" doesn't change that.
So something weird is going on there.

Try putting a plug back on your transformer and see if that works.

Your main light shouldn't work without a neutral. The fact it is "old" doesn't change that.
So something weird is going on there.

Try putting a plug back on your transformer and see if that works.

Sorry for late reply. We went away for long weekend.

Tried the plug last night and it was exactly the same result. Must be a dodgy transformer.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does anything change (not necessarily just with the dodgy tx) if you put all the neutrals in the same block connector?

Hi. Ok I changed the transformer at Ikea and still the same problem. So I simply ran an extension cable from the 30amp wall socket, plugged in the transformer and the lights worked fine!

Clearly the Ikea transformer will not work off the lighting circuit and only works off the ring main. This is completely different to other lights and transformer I have used in the kitchen from other suppliers, where we cut the plug off and wired it into the lighting circuit, no problems at all with that.

So as alternative I'm thinking of buying a 2nd smaller transformer from Ikea and plug that into the circuit I already have, along with the current transformer to spread the load. This is based on the logic that the current transformer will work when only 3 lights go through it, so If I split to 2 transformers it should work.

The alternative is to change all the wiring, which I cannot do.

What a palaver !!!

So just to confirm:

With the first transformer it doesn't work plugged into a socket
With the first transformer it doesn't work connected to your lighting circuit.
With the second transformer it does work plugged into a socket.
With the second transformer it doesn't work connected to your lighting circuit.

Is that all correct? (Did you honestly check the first transformer connected plugged into a socket and find that it didn't work?)

Do you own a multimeter?

There is clearly something with the wiring from the lighting circuit. Nothing wrong with the power supply. And STOP calling it a transformer, it isn't, as you have already been told.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back