12v Transformer problem - flashing lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 12v AC cable/track light set with 4 x 50w halogen bulbs in parallel. The transformer recently failed so I purchased a new one which is rated at 0-210W which I thought was high enough to cope with the load. The transformer I purchased is a Varilight electronic transformer YT210Z.

However when the lights are switched on they are initially bright but after a period of time (30 minutes) they dull and I can hear a low buzz from the the transformer. They will then switch off for a few seconds and then come back on. It then continues like this until I switch them off.

It has an overload protection of > 200% nominal load but the load should be no where near this.

Could it be a faulty transformer or is there something else I'm missing? Can anyone advise?

Thanks
Gary

Sponsored Links
The spec says
If the light(s) turn off unexpectedly, it is likely that the associated transformer is overloaded. In this case, reduce the load by using fewer bulbs or choosing bulbs with a lower rating.

Take a couple of lamps out and see if the same happens.

Another possible problem. Is this circuit controlled by a dimmer? If so, try bypassing the dimmer and see if the same happens. Some trannys have compatability issues with some dimmers.

Thanks for reply. There is no dimmer but I have now removed 2 bulbs to see whether the same problem occurs.

Sponsored Links
It was originally 4 x 50w halogen GU5.3 bulbs. It's now been running 2 x 50w for the past hour and no flashing so looks to be load related. I'll try 3 x 50w and if that's still ok I'll have to swap them for 4 x 35w which will be cheaper than LEDs.

It will be cheaper, but not as bright, and not as efficient. I would be tempted to ring Varilight personally and ask why their 210w transformer cannot handle 200w of lighting. It might be a bit of a lemon and they might offer to replace it with another, OR they're lying to you. There's nothing in the literature than indicates it can't actually power 200w of lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back