Halogen lights and transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Can anyone advise: I have had 2 Belize Halogen lights installed with remote dimmer switches (varilight). The lights have a built in transformer (EagleRise).

Recently one light stopped working, i thought it may be the dimmer switch since they didnt radiate enough light for 100w. However, it turned out that the transformer on the light had blown. Argos changed the light over and it was re-installed. Next the other light went, same thing, the transformer blew - the installer showed me the cover of the transformer which was blackened near one of the cables. He was unable to replace the internal fuse since the unit is sealed.

The transformers are sealed units (made in China), a white circular component that has a live wire connecting the bulbs and the neutral connected to the frame! No Earth cable (the electrician had to insulate the one in the ceiling).

Can anyone advise if I can have the dimmer switch installed? Could this be impacting the wattage of light?

Also, any advise why the transformer is blowing? Has happened to both the dimmer and a normal switch.

Details of the lights transformer are:

Eaglerise:
Input voltage: 220 to 240V AC/50Hz
Output voltage: 11.5V-eff
Rated loading: 35 to 105W
Thermal protection
Short-circuit protection

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back