Eaglerise electronic Transformer - Dimmer switch options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First of all, sorry for asking a question which has probably been asked many times before but I cant find an exact answer.
I have two linked 12v halogen wall lights with three 20w halogen lamps in each.
Each unit contains an Eaglerise eletronic transformer ( SET60CV ) 20w-60w- 50Hz.
Could someone please tell me what dimmer switch I should use to control them.

Many thanks
Adrian

Sponsored Links
Eaglerise is Chinese manufacturer. Does the instructions, or the transformer, say dimmable on it?

If not then you may have a challenge.

If dimmable then you will probably be able to use any good make dimmer rated at 1.5 x the total wattage of the fitting. (You'll need approx 250W for those

If not dimmable you could look at TLC-Directs dimmer guide at http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Systems/DimmerGuide.htm

The iQ range is quite good . This one may suit http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLQP401.html

But maybe cost as much as the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
Found a website that mentions that the set60cv may be dimmable on the primary.
I take that to mean the 240v supply side ?
It says "Applying dimmer to primary could be dimmable".

Wow.

Who knows what that means? Is it a bad translation, or is the "could be" a potential get-out if your dimmer doesn't match their "transformer"?

Click.

I know, Im amazed that kit which meets UK standards does not come with a proper spec sheet.Ive emailed United lighting with a view to getting some answers.

As for the dimmer issues, I may source replacement transformers before taking the plunge with a dimmer switch just in case it all goes wrong.

Hi
The Eaglerise transformer "dimmable on the primary" is taken from the poor USA web site, thats part of the Eaglerise group, its a German version and no help to anyone, its crud translation.
I have simular problem, want to dim a John Lewis fitting that has a Set150CS in. I also cant find any info and it looks like all their websites are not set up to take tech questions.
But I do know from MK....If the transformer states dimmable with trailing edge dimming systems then MK dimmers (soft start versions, see MK web site) would not be compatible. If the transformer within the light fitting is of a dimmable type compatible with leading edge dimmer switches then the MK dimmers would be suitable.
There is of course no such info on the transformer, I checked, but a least I know what to ask when I find a contact, will let you know.
Phil

when I find a contact, will let you know.

I dont suppose adadanks is worried anymore, probably given up, since if you look at the date he asked in January last year
Whats wrong with buying a UK sold transformer and change it over?

Thanks breezer, your right, should have looked at the date in a bit more detail.
On the change front your also right, its the next step as even my own sparks arnt 100% sure, thats not a good sign. Im tempted to try it on the bench.
Thanks for the reply.
Phil

Hi Breezer & Philgo

I have a light fitting that's faulty and suspect it the transformer thats gone, which is a SET60CV.
Could you suggest a UK replacement as I'm struggling to find a spare?
It doesn't need to be dimmable.

Cheers

FFS yourselves, course I've heard of google how do you think I found you!
Found that site myself but min order 500!
Your 4th on the list!!! The rest of the list direct you to China

Reading this post I thought this site was friendly, obviously I was wrong.
The first post was asking for a recommendation and you were happy to help him Taylortwocities, not being electrical biased I thought you'd be happy to give a bit of advice breezer. It was your suggestion to Philgo to buy a UK sold one, I thought maybe you may have an idea of were to purchase one from... that's all!!!

To Quote the Forum Board
Electrics UK
Questions, comments and enquiries related to household electrics in the UK.

I thought maybe you may have an idea of were to purchase one from... that's all!!!

I have.

why dont you ask the mods (via the alert mods button) to delete all the "wrong" posts then you can ask again, but dont hi jack a post to do so

My post wasn't off topic was it???

If I had asked a totally unrelated question I could understand the sarcasm and abuse I've received but your post was from the day before and mentioned buying a UK supplied one

If I have hijacked this post by asking you to follow up on your comment I apologise but I thought that would have been an obvious place to put a reply, as I stated earlier google brought me directly to this thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back