Help find a replacement for Ikea transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my ikea transformer for halogen cabinet lights needs to be replaced as my electrician put them on a dimmer...

It says it is
PRI: 230V 50Hz 0.3A
SEC: 11.5V 10-60W

Would be most grateful for your suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Hi TTC,

Google is really is good if you know what to ask!

As you have probably guessed these numbers and letters mean nothing to me unfortunately, so I was hoping someone who KNOWS would recommend one that he (or she) would buy in my situation.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

the total wattage should be 70W (7 fittings with a 10W bulb each).

Thank you!

Great, thanks a lot!

One final question - as these lights are currently on a standard dimmer switch, should I ask to put them on a standard on/off one?

Can these Ikea Halogen lights be dimmed at all?

It's the transformer that has to be dimmer able, not the bulbs themselves.

You don't need to change the transformer if you are using a standard switch.

Capisch?

Would the transformer I was recommended make them dimmable?
Yes:

t362282.jpg

Make sure you get a dimmer which does Leading Edge dimming.

Thanks, TTC!

I appreciate your advice and your patience :)

Have a nice evening!

I have no idea, but he didn't seem like he understood what I was asking him.

I asked him several times why these lights flicker instead of dim smoothly, and didn't get a proper answer.

I am not an electrician and didn't know the specifics of dimmer-transformer compatibility.

If there any simple rules you can share with me I would be very happy to educate myself a bit.

Thank you!

I have no idea, but he didn't seem like he understood what I was asking him.
That's because he doesn't understand how to do his job properly.

I asked him several times why these lights flicker instead of dim smoothly, and didn't get a proper answer.
That's because he doesn't know.

I am not an electrician and didn't know the specifics of dimmer-transformer compatibility.
I suggest that neither was¹, nor did, he.

If there any simple rules you can share with me I would be very happy to educate myself a bit.
There is a compatibility issue with dimming ELV lighting "transformers" (in quotes because they aren't actually transformers, which is why the problem arises)

Dimmers do not work by lowering the peak voltage, they reduce the RMS voltage by simply chopping out part of the waveform - they either turn on part way through each cycle (leading edge, or phase-delay) or turn off part way through (trailing edge, or phase cut), and what the dimmer does must match what the transformer needs.

So you might have a "transformer" that is labelled as suitable for dimming and you might have a dimmer switch that is suitable for use on ELV power supplies but you still need to match the leading/trailing edge characteristics of each.

¹ At least, not enough of a one to be taking your money to act as one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back