IKEA Ansluta transformer not working

As it happens I have just looked at the "12 volt DC" supplied by an unbranded "electronic transformer" on an oscilloscope. It alternates between 11.3 and 13.9 volts at approx 1.7kHz. on minimum load ( resistive ) the mark space ratio of the two values is such that the average is 12.3 volts. Increasing the load ( resistive ) reduces the 11.3 to 10.4 and the 13.9 to 12.8 at maximum load. The mark space ratio alters to create an average of 11.8 volts.

It had been bought to power a medium wave radio but the spurious radiation from it knocked out all but the strongest radio signals.

If I have time tomorrow I will try some other loads including LED drivers. Then I will open it up to see how well it is made.

It can't possible be a so called "electronic transformer" (in itself a nonsense term) as those are high frequency AC devices for driving halogen lights. Is it an unbranded DC output switch mode power supply?

Sponsored Links
Any three? Even the three that are supposed to be 2W each?

Yes. I tried various combinations. It's very odd.

The three 5.3w Omlopp lights will work fine together, as soon as I add one 2w Lindshult to it the on/off flashing starts. then vice versa, the three 2w will work fine, but I cannot add a 5.3w to it.

I see what you are saying, 15.9w versus 6w, in theory I should be able to get at least 4 lights on, 3 x 2w and 1 x 5.3w. Or a combination of.

In addition to that I should also say that although they switched on immediately when 1st checked. About an hour later when I went into the room again I turned on the switch at the wall and the 3 lights initially flickered before eventually coming on permanently.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes very odd.
Probably something is broken.
One thought - is your mains wiring at the light switch definitely right? You haven't connected it in series with a mains light bulb, or something?

Yes very odd.
Probably something is broken.
One thought - is your mains wiring at the light switch definitely right? You haven't connected it in series with a mains light bulb, or something?

This is how I have set up the wiring:

2 gang light switch wiring.png

Thanks

Are all three neutrals joined together? Your picture makes it look as if the neutral to the main light is not connected to anything.
Nothing wrong with the supply to the LED though, if the other wires do what you think they do.

A reasonable good quality currnet source ( switch mode ) LED driver was connected to the output of the "12 volt DC" unbranded " electronic transformer.

The wave form of the "12 volt DC" became very erratic with many high frequency components , measuring via a low pass filter displayed a predominate frequency that varied between 300 and 500 Hz Possibly the beat note between the 1.7 kHz of the supply and the operating frequency of the LED driver.

The power supply was getting hot so the tests nave been stopped.

Are all three neutrals joined together? Your picture makes it look as if the neutral to the main light is not connected to anything.
Nothing wrong with the supply to the LED though, if the other wires do what you think they do.

No, to be fair the neutrals are not joined together, but the main light bulb is working fine. Only the mains neutral and LED neutral are in the same terminal. I can change that.

When you say, "if the other wires do what you think they do", can you please explain? The transformer only has live and neutral and they connect to the light switch (above) via a junction box, live to live and neutral to neutral. So it is a like for like linkage.

As regards the lighting circuit (mains wire to breaker) it is per the picture above and feeds into the lighting circuit loop as per normal.

Excuse my ignorance but not sure what you mean?

Thanks

the neutrals are not joined together, but the main light bulb is working fine.

It shouldn't be working if its neutral is not connected to anything.

The fact that it is working suggests that it is not actually wired as you've described.
How do you know that the cables you've described as "to mains" and "to main light bulb" do go there?

It shouldn't be working if its neutral is not connected to anything.

The fact that it is working suggests that it is not actually wired as you've described.
How do you know that the cables you've described as "to mains" and "to main light bulb" do go there?

The wiring to the switch is exactly as described.

The wiring to the main light bulb is old, which is perhaps where your doubt is. But it does work as described. We could not re-wire the main bulb due to access to that wiring. Instead we linked it via another junction box from old light switch (now boxed in and isolated), again like for like. But to be honest that is not relevant to the LED set-up, which is the issue of this thread.

The mains lighting circuit loop is as described because that is 'new'. It is a spur from the lighting circuit. Which is new wiring set up (certified under building regs when we did extension)

So in conclusion we have new wiring running from switch to mains lighting circuit (spur). We then have new wiring going to the LED transformer via a junction box. Lastly we have new wiring going to junction box for main light bulb, joining old wiring set up.

Any advice appreciated. But I suspect I just need a new transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back