Dimmer / LV Transformer Compatibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed 3 torroidal dimmable 240v to 12v 300va low voltage transformers to control 3 runs of suspended wire cable halogen lights in a kitchen and need to know what type of dimmer to use. Would an electronic dimmer be compatible with such a transformer? I would like to to use 3 GET GU6222e dimmers if possible. On the transformer paperwork it states that the transformer 'is dimmable with phase control dimmers' but this doesn't mean anything to me. Any ideas anyone please? :confused:

Sponsored Links
torroidal trannys are hard to dim. You need a dimmer that specifically states on its specs "suitable for toroidal/wirewould transformers"

This are often called hard fired dimmers, basically suitable for resistive loads

Sponsored Links
Im confused.

You say you have three 300VA lights which you wish to dim.

The dimmer you have specified is a 2G 250W dimmer.

Why do you want three 2G switches (6 switches in total) when you only have three lights?

The only suitable dimmers that GET do in the style you want is the GU6212LV

This is a 1G 400VA rated transformer, designed for toroidal and laminated transformers, and will be suitable to dim one of your fittings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back