Dimmer for 12V Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the following 12V 150W transformer powering 120W of halogen lighting.

$%28KGrHqV,!pEE8Wf8rDbiBPRP,1fcYQ~~60_12.JPG

I'd like to use a dimmer switch with it, but I'm not certain which sort is needed. I know it says 'compatible with most types of dimmers' but I wondered if there was a type that would be best, or would a simple one like this be ok? I'm asking because I've never used dimmers with elv before.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight-push-dimmer-1g-1-2w-250w/34373

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not a transformer it is an inverter which means there will be a minimum as well as maximum power it states 35W to 150W so designed for three 50W tungsten lamps.

Quartz lamps are not designed for dimming the quartz envelope has to be maintained at an exact heat yes I know you can dim them but not designed to be dimmed and the life will be very much reduced if dimmed.

There are leading and lagging dimmers and the dimmer must match the inverter. Since the element is coiled it will have an induction value and it is either get all items of same make or cross your fingers.

Likely it will work but there is no guarantee it will it is a suck it and see situation. When you use something outside of it's design parameters one should not be surprised if it fails.

Sponsored Links
I have the following 12V 150W transformer powering 120W of halogen lighting.

$%28KGrHqV,!pEE8Wf8rDbiBPRP,1fcYQ~~60_12.JPG

I'd like to use a dimmer switch with it, but I'm not certain which sort is needed. I know it says 'compatible with most types of dimmers' but I wondered if there was a type that would be best, or would a simple one like this be ok? I'm asking because I've never used dimmers with elv before.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight-push-dimmer-1g-1-2w-250w/34373

Many Thanks

That is not a transformer. It is a switch mode power supply. Most dimmers might work with it but you should not dim halogen lights as you will reduce their life. Halogen lights rely on the recombination of the evaporated tungsten which won't happen if they are dimmed.

...but you should not dim halogen lights as you will reduce their life. Halogen lights rely on the recombination of the evaporated tungsten which won't happen if they are dimmed.
Generally accepted as being correct however...
If you reduce the filament temperature (dimming) the rate of tungsten evaporation is greatly reduced so life is not reduced as expected. When the lamp is used at full temperature, any evaporated tungsten that has condensed on the envelope is re-combined again.
Just at thought...

Quartz lamps are not designed for dimming the quartz envelope has to be maintained at an exact heat yes I know you can dim them but not designed to be dimmed and the life will be very much reduced if dimmed.

I know this is technically true but it doesn't fit with my experience.

I've got dozens upon dozens of halogen lamps in my house (much to the disdain of BAS), all of which are on dimmers and rarely if ever set to 100%.

These were all installed seven years ago and I haven't replaced a single lamp. Yes, not one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back