Which dimmer switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just looking for some advice on a dimmer switch. I want to replace the switch in a bedroom with a dimmer switch, but am not sure which type I need!

Its a single switch & the light is only controlled by the 1 switch. I have brought a new 3-bulb ceiling light (which says its dimmable) and in this I have installed 3x 28W energy saving halogen bulbs (again it says they are dimmable), but what switch do I need? I assume 250W is ok or would 400 be better? There seems to be quite a range in prices & I wasn't sure what the difference was? Screwfix do the below for under £5, would that suffice?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight-push-dimmer-1g-1-2w-250w/34373

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Please take time to reaad the instructions leaflet (on the link that you have posted.)

It says that the dimmer suitable for use with Varilight Digiflux CFLs. Its anybody's guess if the lights you have bought will work with that dimmer.
Your best bet is to buy the dimmer and the recommended lamps.

NOTE you problem will not be the maximum dimmer power handling (you only have 84watts (3x28). So you need to find a dimmer that can work with a low load of 84watts. Some will, some won't.

Yes I did read the instructions, but cant see the part that you mention. It states that it is suitable for mains halogen bulbs so I assumed it would be fine?

Obviously I have already brought the lamps, so just need a basic dimmer to replace the existing switch. If not this one, can you suggest a suitable alternative?

Although the bulbs are 28W, they are energy saving, so this is equivalent to 37W standard.

Go the Varilight website and also look here:
http://www.varilight.co.uk/leaflets/compatibility.pdf

With the total wattage you are talking about the problem will not be the top end of the range 250w but the bottom end of the range maybe 50w (I couldn't find the min value).
If the min value is 50w then you wont get much variation in the dimming quality of the lamps.

Sponsored Links
Although the bulbs are 28W, they are energy saving, so this is equivalent to 37W standard.

Aah I see. they are those HALOGEN bulbs that pretend to be "energy saving"

When I see energy saving I assume they are CFL's or similar. Those really do save energy.

Anyway. 28watts is 28watts consumed and you have three of those.
The instructions say:

THIS SWITCH IS SUITABLE FOR

􀀗 GU10 or similar good quality mains halogen bulbs

So that dimmer should be OK

They are not energy saving, they are lower wattage (and therefore lower brightness). Energy saving lamps use CFL or LED technology.

Many dimmers have a minimum rating of 40 watts. This is the minimum load at full brightness, not the minimum it will turn down to as the previous poster implies. As your load is 84 watts just about any dimmer will do, I've never seen one with a minimum load above 84 watts.

They are not energy saving, they are lower wattage (and therefore lower brightness).
I presume that the manufacturer probably claims (justifiably or not!) that they have somehow increased efficiency, such that the 28W lamp has the same light output as a 'conventional' 37W lamp.

Kind Regards, John

Varilight claim on their packaging that their dimmer are energy saving as well. Im told that if you dim the lamps, it doesn't actually save energy. Is this correct?

No that is not correct. But dimmed light is inefficient in as much as the light given out is less than a lamp of the wattage being consumed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back