buzzing dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i fitted a new light to the dining room which has about 10 litttle bulbs with two prongs for fitting them
the light works fine, but then maud decides a dimmer would be a good idea. I bought a dimmer and fitted it but the actual dimmer switch buzzes like a nest of wasps!!!!!!!!

why is this ????????

i removed it straight away and put the original switch back on, but maud still wants the dimmer

Sponsored Links
What is the rating of the light fixture? and what is the max load for the dimmer?
Is this an elv light fixture, and if it is, is the elv source suitable for dimming and is the dimmer suitable for use on reactive loads?

take some lamps out then it will be dimmer.

why buy a light with so many lamps then dinm it?

but as said its comaptability between dimmer and light, some dimmers do indeed buzz

hi thanks for the replies

bought the light cos maud wanted it, then the dimmer cos maud wanted it (just easier to say yes)

what ratings should i be looking for the dimmer in comparison to the light

elv ???? no idea

Sponsored Links
he means is it 12 volt (lamps)

you should check the rating of the dimmer and it should be more than the total of the lamps

i.e 10 x 20 watt lamps you cant use a 150 watt dimmer

also if the lamps are 12v does the transformer say "suitable for dimming"

every day is a school day

its 240v

thanks again for the prompt reply

it may be mains, but what voltage are the lamps?

not allbut most "deorative lights" are 12v

NS215, I have a fitting with the same lamps as yours (i assume), 10 x 10 watt. I find it quite dim already. Anyhow it has a transformer in the base to change to 12 volts.

Many transformers will not work with dimmers, and visa-versa.

I have to say you aint being particularly forthcoming with info that we need. We still dont know the voltage of the lamps, the type of transformer if one exists (take a piccy if you want), the total wattage of the fitting. We need all of this to make any advice.

I assume this light is only switched from one location. Please confirm.

or like

LAM47.JPG

either way we need more info

just checked the bulbs and they are 12v 10w and 10 of them on the fitting

Look inside the base at the transformer and take a photo to show us. Also note if the words dimmable or non-dimmable appear on it anywhere.

will do steve but it will be tomorrow now after work

thanks for all the replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back