Buzzing in the central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a megaflow system installed a year and half ago when the gravity system was converted to a closed system - boiler is a Worcester Bosch 19/24. Everything worked fine.
Some months later I had a loft conversion done and added 4 new radiators (one a towel rail). Two issues arose.
One: The radiators in the loft don't get heated until the hot water heating shuts off (or the hot water heating turns off when the water in the megaflow is hot enough - the other radiators in the house all get steaming hot as usual even with the HW heating on). Then the radiators in the loft get steaming hot like the ones in the rest of the house. Throughout the period since the loft was built I've been using the filling loop to top up the water in the central heating system when the pressure drops below 1 bar - every few weeks or so - there was a fair amount of air in the system and there are no leaks in the system.
Two: When the heating system starts to or appears to feed the loft there is a buzzing sound, like a hornet, coming form the airing cupboard where the loft is fed from. I can only really hear it when I'm in the bathroom next to the airing cupboard otherwise it's only very slight. The pump is a Grundfos set to max (3). Is the sound due to incorrect setting on the pump or is it due to more trapped air?
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back