By Law I must have new rads

Why change ur system if it is doing its job?

Sponsored Links
Yes, sounds simple......but I'm betting on the Goverment forcing up the price of gas to make people change....because not enough are changing to reach the Gov.'s targets.....and i'd like to get rid of the Bottles......have awful job getting my bike past them........

Sponsored Links
Then get a proper company or individual and never BRITISH GAS, do you really think that con-man left the folder by accident ?

My thinking exactly......and he was able to knock some money of the Rads, a special offer for 5 rads. ....he had priced them individually....

In the Living room we have a double 600 x 1200....and last winter I measured the temperature of the Radiatoer..it was 50*......and we were comfortable.....the other rads. are seldom if ever used.....
Here is an expert from an article from Just Radiators about ASHP...............

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 20.29.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 20.29.56.png
    609.3 KB · Views: 23
No harm to compare some numbers,
If you have a rad with flow/return temps of 65C/50C then the rad will output 68.8% of its rated output.
If the rad has flow/return temps of 45C/40C then that rad will output 35.4% of its rated output or 51.4% of the 65C/50C output.

...further price reduction ...down to £6399.....another 600 saved...reason? "its because your property is below a certain sq meterage "....

The BG bloke is not an "engineer" but a salesman.

Treat him with the same caution you would have employed to a 1970's double-glazing chancer.

@seanoge try this...

There are 3 heat Geeks within a 30 mile radius of you. Suggest you contact them.

I have done this course and the knowledge is excellent.

Also check out the rest of Heat Geeks resources for consumers. Everything you need to know is on there. It will help you determine what rads (if any) need replacing.

Quite often, older rads were oversized for 20° deltaT and "can be" suitable for LTH.

Lots of good info here too...

No harm to compare some numbers,
If you have a rad with flow/return temps of 65C/50C then the rad will output 68.8% of its rated output.
If the rad has flow/return temps of 45C/40C then that rad will output 35.4% of its rated output or 51.4% of the 65C/50C output.

Most rad manufacturers now include a conversion factor for lower flow temps in their charts... Or they print the rated outputs for different deltas.

You can also do your own heat loss calculation for free here...

Or can pay a few quid for a better one at same site.

One of the problems/challenges with using lower temperatures with rads is that even though 35/36% rad output might be perfectly suitable with flow/return/room temps of 45C/40C/20C is that if you switch off the heating for say 9 hours at night then it will take forever to get the room temperatures back up after heating back on in the morning, gas/oil fired systems can/will run the rads at ~ 100% output for say 1.5/2 hrs to get the room temperatures up and then via TRVs or whatever reduce the outputs back down. Obviously increasing the rad sizes by a factor of 2.5ish will largely deal with this but probably still won't get the very rapid heat up time as the convection/air circulation off the rads is much slower at the low temperatures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back