Bypass Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am going to install TRVs on all my radiators and the information I have says, i will need to fit a Bypass Valve in the system between the pump and the return pipe to the boiler.

I would like to know if I could connect to the return pipe of the Bypass circuit to the return pipe of the hot water circuit instead, as this would save taking the cylinder out to access the pipework underneath it.

System Details
Glo-worm Boiler with cast iron heat exchanger. No bypass needed.
This is installed on a Honeywell Y Plan system which has 9 rads on it.

Thank you,

Sponsored Links
If you have Y plan then you don't need a bypass, as at least one circuit will always be open.

But the heating circuit could be closed completely by all the TRVs closing simultaneously, hence the need for a by-pass.

On the other hand the boiler, having a cast iron heat exchanger, doesn't require a by-pass (we are told).

On yet anther hand, at least one of the radiators should be left without a TRV if it's in the space where the room stat is. And there should be a room stat, so no need for a by-pass.

But to answer the original question, yes you can connect the by-pass return to the return from the cylinder coil. It's also the return pipe to the boiler.

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
But the heating circuit could be closed completely by all the TRVs closing simultaneously, hence the need for a by-pass.

On the other hand the boiler, having a cast iron heat exchanger, doesn't require a by-pass (we are told).

On yet anther hand, at least one of the radiators should be left without a TRV if it's in the space where the room stat is. And there should be a room stat, so no need for a by-pass.
Yup - I caught myself out there by replying while not fully awake. :oops:

Apologies to supersmig, and thanks to chrishutt who is, as usual, completely correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back